Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Subwoofer & amp issue with Avic D2 install

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Default Subwoofer & amp issue with Avic D2 install

Hi,
I had the Poineer Avic D2 HU with iPod adapter installed in my 2005 4Runner SE and I have had nothing but issues since starting this. Tweeter had wiring issues that took 2 visits to get past. Initially they installed the Avic D2 in the dash with the JBL headunit installed in the rear cargo area so that I could continue to use my subwoofer and amp but no input remaining for the iPod. I had them remove the JBL headunit so that I could use my iPod adapter and lost the subwoofer and amp giving me a poor audio experience. I have researched through Crutchfield and other forums for solutions for aftermarket replacements to fit in the stock locations with the only solution being a stealthbox install. I mountain bike and do not want anything that consumes precious cargo space. Crutchfield said that the subwoofer diameter is 7.396 inches and a shallow unknown available depth. Until I figure out which subwoofer to go with, no recommendation for amplifier were provided.
Has anyone overcome this issue and have some recommended solutions that I can present to an install shop. I would really like to retain the stock (stealth) locations but I have no solution that keeps everything hidden. In the end, I think I should have gone with the Nav HU that comes optional. Too much money spent to turn back now though. Thanks

Old 06-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Default RE: Subwoofer & amp issue with Avic D2 install

i have installed a d-2 into an 05 4runner without any problems. but it didn't have a jbl system.

i have also installed a d-2 into a 2004 sienna w/jbl system, no sub.
we purchased a amp bypass kit from metra jumped the amp and was able to utilize only 6 of the 7 speakers since the d-2 is only a 4ch output (front door speakers and tweeters were in paralell at 8 ohms) center channel speakers was disconnected and not used. but the HU is very powerfull and has many frequency adjustments and sounded very well. try adjusting the eq on HU.

as far as the i-pod adapter just get the ib-100. u don't sacrafice any inputs on the back and this part allows the HU to charge and control it. just plug it in and go. have them run the i-pod connection to the glove.

for further wiring assistance or optional configurations call Metra Electronics @ 1-800-221-0932 select tech help on automation menu i think it's (2).

good luck,

Rok

Old 06-21-2006, 07:52 PM

Rok,
Thanks for your advice. I had a METRA bypass harness which is apparently why my amp and subwoofer are non-functioning. I contacted METRA and their recommended solution was to replace the stock amplifier with any 40+ watt amplifier and my subwoofers will receive a signal again. I will give this a try and post whether it worked or not.
Mark

Old 06-25-2006, 07:54 PM

The new Amplifier install worked well. I again have full audio front and rear. The amp was installed under the drivers seat and stock amp (I believe) remained bypassed as it was not in the pile of removed parts. It probably seems like an easy solution at this point to replace the amplifier to regain my subwoofers but no one locally was able to give me that answer. Hopefully this post helps someone else in the circumstance.
The only side note I have is if you are interested in the Avic D2, be prepared to use a custom mounting kit. Their is a gap on the sides of the HU in the console that looks tacky and no good fix that I have found. Otherwise the HU itself is great.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:46 AM

THE GAP CAN BE A EASY FIX. WE HAD TO DO THIS ON THE SIENNA ALSO.

JUST GET A LITTLE BONDO SAND PAPER AND SEMI GLOSS BLACK PAINT.

BUY ANOTHER KIT AND SHAPE IT TO YOUR SPECS BY ADDING BONDO TO THE EXISTING AFTERMARKET KIT. OURS CAME OUT PERFECT.

GIVE IT A SHOT THE METRA DASH KIT IS ONLY $15-20.

WANT VIDEO DURING VEHICLE MOTION.

AVIC D2 BYPASS:

GET ANOTHER D2 WIRE HARNESS.
CAREFULLY PULL OUT ANY 1 WIRE ON THE NEW HARNESS (BE CAREFULL U NEED THE PIN AND WIRE IN TACK)
LOOK AT THE OLD HARNESS AND U WILL NOTICE AN EMPTY WIRE LOCATIONS RIGHT NEXT TO THE GROUND WIRE.
INSERT THE SPARE WIRE U JUST PULLED OUT AND GROUND THAT WIRE.

U WILL NOW HAVE VIDEO WHILE DRIVING AROUND.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:52 PM
LBH

Check here for the kit to fix the gap. Metra kits are always dead on, I use them often. I am using one now in my 05 for a JVC touchscreen

Old 11-14-2008, 04:51 AM

Yeah? Why would you pay when you can get the same info here FREE http://www.avic411.com/forum/