General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

86 4Runner 22REC slight hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Default 86 4Runner 22REC slight hesitation

I bought a 1986 Toyota 4runner 22REC w/255k. I bought it with bad motor. The rest of the truck was in very good shape. I have replaced several carburated 22r's over the years with very good results. I love the old toyota trucks, This is my first 22REC motor. The old engine would start up and run, but not very well. I put in a rebuilt motor from a reputable rebuilder that I have used before. I replaced all the obvious parts while I was installing the new motor: Plugs, Wires, Cap, O2 sensor, Fuel filter, Air filter, Hoses, Radiator, belts etc. The truck passed the smog test fine (here in California). The problem is the truck hesitates just so slighty when you slighty press on the throttle as you accellerate, pretty much at any speed. I have replaced the (TPS) and adjusted it per the Toyota Manual (it was bad had a dead spot in it). I have checked for codes, codes read fine. I still get a slight hesitation I am wondering if the Fuel injestors are bad, pluged, or worn out. I have tried fuel injector cleaner on many tanks and no luck. When I purchased the truck it had been sitting for about six months with water in the head and block. I replaced the long block but bolted everything else to the new block. What is the typical life of fuel injestors ? Would replacing them be a good place to start at this point?. Could the water have contaminated the injectors somehow? I really want to keep this truck for a long time.
Thank You for any light you shed.