General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check Engine-VSC Trac-VSC OFF Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Default Check Engine-VSC Trac-VSC OFF Light

Need some advice. 02 Limited 46Kmiles. She has always run fine. Then would not start or turn over but had power. Check engine light and VSC lights on. Took to dealer and they ran the code-came back as P0320-Cam position sensor. They also replaced air filter due to minor mouse eating. Essentialy told me that water pump leaked antifreeze onto tone ring(?) and timing belt. They replaced timing belt and water pump cleaned throttle assembly for $700! Next day same thing happened-no start and lights back on. Keep in mind I had never had any issues with her. Both mornings of no start it has been very cold-low teens. I read other threads on this issue-but would love some insight cause the diagnostics seem far fetched and real expensive so far. Thanks-taking her back to dealer on Monday if she starts.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Default RE: Check Engine-VSC Trac-VSC OFF Light

Hello everyone,

New to the site, new to Toyota!

I purchased a 2005 Sport Edition 4runner from an auction yesterday with 98K Km's. It had the CEL/VSC/VSC OFF lights lit. I'm currently having it inspected by Toyota and the code they came up with was one of the cam sensors. I heard that if a certain cam sensor has been faulty for a long time without having it serviced, it can lead to MAJOR problems with the engine. This is what they are checking for now. But you never know even if Toyota says that it's cleared for takeoff.

My fear is that the previous owner might have done this. I still have a week to return the car if there is any major damage.

Anyone have any experience with these sensors?? I know the car is in good hands at the dealership but would like to hear some first hand insight from owners.

Thanks.