General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Diagnostic of Broken Lumbar Support Switch in 1999 4Runner Limited

Old 09-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Default Diagnostic of Broken Lumbar Support Switch in 1999 4Runner Limited

Hi,

I just bought a 1999 4Runner (Limited, V6) and my lumbar support switch in the power seat on the driver’s side does not work. Normally I would live without this functionality, but the seat is uncomfortable if I sit in it for a long period of time. I don’t have cash right now to take it to the local Toyota dealership to get it fixed.

How can I tell if the switch is the problem as opposed to the wiring or the motor? The rest of the power seat works correctly. If I test the switch and wires with a multimeter, what would I be looking for (i.e voltage, resistance)?

Thanks

Old 10-01-2011, 02:50 AM

Update:
Ok, so I tested the wires and the switch with multimeter. There are four prongs that connect the switch to the wires. I do not have a background in electronics. Can anyone tell what these results mean?

1) Wires

a. Voltage: I turned on the power in the 4Runner and make a connection between one of the wire prongs to a ground (truck frame). Three of the wire prongs had no voltage and one had 12 V of voltage (lower left prong).

b. Resistance: I tested between the various wires. Top and bottom of each side showed a resistance reading. Across and diagonally did not have any resistance.

2) Switch
Resistance: I tested the resistance between the various prongs with the switch in the off (middle) position, the ‘ lumbar move in’ position, and the ‘lumbar move out’ position. Some of the positions showed resistance while others did not.