General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

4 RUNNER REAR WINDOW MALFUNCTION

Old 06-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Default 4 RUNNER REAR WINDOW MALFUNCTION

I HAVE A 92 FOUR RUNNER THAT HAS REAR WINDOW PROBLEM....IT STOPPED WORKING THE OTHER NIGHT AND ITS STUCK OPEN ABOUT 2 INCHES....CAN'T GET IT TO GO UP AND DOWN...TRIED THE SWITCHES AND LOCKS EVERY WHICH WAY....NO LUCK....OF COURSE WE CAN'T GET THE REAR GATE OPEN EITHER LIKE THIS....DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A WAY TO TROUBLESHOOT THIS OR MAYBE WHERE TO LOOK FOR MORE FUSES OR RELAYS ....MAYBE EVEN AN IDEA ON HOW TO BYPASS SOME OF THEM SO THAT I MAY GET THE GATE OPEN...THANKS....

Old 07-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Default RE: 4 RUNNER REAR WINDOW MALFUNCTION

Sorry about my english but I will try to help you.

The electronic card that control the rear windows is in the interior of the rear fender driver's side ( in my 1993 4runner ).
There are little relay that control the up and down window action. You can check if everything seems to be ok.

You can also open the cover of the tailgate by the inside or the truck. You will see the window motor and if you can, unplug the two motor wire and put a 12vdc power supply on it to see if the motor is ok. Switch the polarity on the motor to simulate a up and down action.

If nothing work, the motor is probably dead. If it work, maybe you have a burned relay on the electronic card.

You can also verify this below because if your window stop in the middle of his action, maybe its a bad limit switch that block the windows.

You can also check if the button up/down inside the truck work well and if the key switch on the tailgate is ok.

Check this:

There are some kind of "safety" that lock the action of the window. You have to check if your rear wiper is at its place because there is a kind of limit switch on it to block the down position when the wiper is in action.

There is also a limit switch inside the tailgate. You have to open the cover by the inside of the truck and see if the limit switch work correctly ( it is near the windows motor ).

There are also another safety that lock the window, there are limit switch each side of the tailgate where you have a kind of hook that keep the tailgate close.

Don't let Toyota change the electronic card because it cost approx 400$ !!!. In many case, it is just a defective relay that you can buy at radio shack for 3$.

Let me know if it help

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2006, 02:27 PM

I read your reply to the window malfunction. I have the same problem although my window goes up but not down. The motor works in both directions when polarity reversed. How does one check to see if the relay switches in the controller unit located in the left rear of the truck are actually functioning? And if they are not, how does one repair using Radio Shack switches?
Thanks

Buddha2948

Old 10-10-2006, 12:36 AM

Hey 4runnermudtoy. Your English seems better than a lot of people I know. Your above post should prove very helpful to me, so thanks in advance.
My rez runner is a 1992 SR5 3VZE with Aisin Warner 340series automatic transmission. My rear window works sometimes and sometimes not. I run a transmission repair/rebuilding shop and don't do a lot of window motors or interior stuff, mostly just driveline stuff and brakes and tranny rebuilding. I think your post gave me enough information to correct the problem. Judging from your post I would suspect one of the limit switches for mine. Most likely the one for the wiper arm. It always goes up once it is down but sometimes it won't go down when closed or if I open it partially it won't continue down. I will check mine tomorrow and try to get that taken care of. I am assuming it will be in an obvious location but if not can you advise?

Once again thanks for a very informative post. Now I know and knowing is half the battle. This is kinda like the rear coil spring issue, I waited 2 years after getting the runner to fix that and that is something I know how to do. I haven't even had the steering recall done yet.