Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

best tires

Old 11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Default best tires

what are the best semi-agressive tires? this will be a mostly daily driver but also be driven off-road alot. thanks

Old 11-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Default RE: best tires

also how big could i go i was thinking about a 2 or 4 inch lift nothing too big?

Old 11-18-2006, 07:59 AM

We replaced the originals on our 99 with Goodyear Fortera. Increadibly quiet compared to the originals. We don't off road much but the tires are great.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:14 PM

ya i tink im looking for somthing more agressive but not so agressive that i will have to start replacing axles and things but i will be more daily driver than an off road vehicle im in high school and i will be driving back and forth about 10-15 miles per day going where ever so i need somthing that will look good and wear good also

Old 11-19-2006, 03:30 PM

I'm partial to the General Grabber series. I used the Grabber AP's because I knew I was going to spend a lot of time on paved roads, and wanted a tire that worked well on snow and the occasional dirt road foray. The AP's were perfect. General has more aggressive Grabber lines, you may want to give those a look, see what fits your anticipated needs. Generals can be hard to find, but Discount Tire outlets usually can order them for you.

Mileage on the Generals is pretty good, too.

Right now I'm running some Les Schwab sourced tires, I think Open Country or something similar, that my sister got installed while I was stationed overseas. She says they wrok good in the snow, have no off road experience with them myself. I do like the Les Scwab service, though. Free puncture repair at any outlet, and they always patch, never plug. Plus if you get spiked tires or something through them, they will swap em out and back to normal for free.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 PM

REVOS are okay ....500 long threadwear, big juicy threads. good on pavement. go look at the pics on tirerack

Old 01-12-2007, 01:57 PM

My street tires are 35x12.50 BFG A/Ts. They are fairly quiet, smooth and I have put 40k on them and they have worn but just barely started to fray and break up on the treads.

My off road tires are 37x13 Eagle Superswampers. They have huge treads that work great on mud, water, and sand but I slide around easily on rocks. On the road I would have to be an idiot to run them for very long, they are rough, loud, and I get pulled over everytime I have them on.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:27 AM

the best "on road" tires used as a "daily commuter" andwith very good off road traction i'd choose the michelin cross terrain. pricey, but you'll save w/ rolling resistance and fuel ecomomy and keep hearing that there worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY.I just keep hearing rave reviews about these tires.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:46 AM

I have fairly new Michelin LTX on my 94 4x4 4Runner. Pretty noisy. I had the Cross Terrains on my old ML320. Much quieter. I would try the Yokohama HT/S above anything else though. If you don't like those, we can work out a deal.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:08 PM

If you are going with a OEM size tire - I agree with 4bummer...... the Bridgestone Revo's worked very well on my old Passport. I didn't need to engage the 4-wheel drive in most of the snow conditions I encountered without losing grip.SometimesI wish they slippedsome to make it a little fun...hahaha. They incorporate great wet technology with outstanding everyday grip/cornering for a tall SUV tire. They were very quiet for the aggresive tread pattern too, even over the life....which is the real key. Great reviews on tire rack as well. You may sacrifice some wear compared to some harder compound tires, but with the responsivness on/off road you'd probably be happyeven if they wore quicker. Keep them rotated.....whatever you buy. Can't really gowrong with Michelins either. You pretty much get what you pay for. Most places will price match tire rack's price (plus 15 bucks per tire to cover additional shipping charges). Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best tires