New Member Area Are you new to 4 Runner Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Should I buy a 4Runner?

Old 11-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Default Should I buy a 4Runner?

Hello everyone! I am considering the idea of purchasing a 4Runner. I currently have an 02 Explorer which I really like but has been plagued with problems. I am considering trading it in for a mid to late 90's 4Runner. Would love to have a newer one but cant afford. I have had a couple of toyotas in the past and currently the wife drives an 03' Corolla. All have been excellent vehicles! So basicly I am looking here to see if anyone can give me their thoughts and opinions on buying a 4Runner. Things like what to look for and what to avoid and anything anyone wants to share. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-27-2005, 02:32 AM
Default RE: Should I buy a 4Runner?

4runners are nice.. im a first time buyer of a 4runner i have a 92 .. i waited awhile to find the right 1 that fit me.. i ran a carfax everything was str8 and you know the rest..

what to look for im not much of a help since im a first timer ...

i like driving higher then in a car i just love it...

Found On Road Dead lol Ford

get a manual transmission ...

Old 11-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Administrator

most people who i have spoken with who have owned multiple runners, have far preferred the mtx models.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:40 PM

It seems the ones I have found more interesting are the 99 to 02 models. I have been looking for the manual tranny but havent found one in those years. Did they even make them? I am getting ready to go drive an 00' SR5 4X4 with 42000 miles on it. Its in very good condition and very sharp. They are asking $16000 for it. What would be an ideal price on this?

Thanks, Sean

Old 12-10-2005, 04:54 PM

I just paid $16000 for a 2002 SR5 with 47000 miles on it but it just had the engine replaced with a zero mile shortblock all under warranty but it's only 2WD. Now I wish I had held out for a 4WD because I just got orders to move to Iceland and I would be able to do a lot more in the winter with 4WD.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I went and bought it. I love it so far. It has more power than I was expecting too. Definitely good low-end torque. Now that Explorer is someone elses boat anchor!

Old 12-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Administrator

hm..i am not a fan of exploders, so i would have told you that the 4 runner would be a step up beforehand...

congrats on the new ride!!!

Old 12-13-2005, 07:34 PM

Yeah, I know! I should have done my homework before I bought that boat-anchor like I usually do. I guess the payment looked good and we were in a pinch at the time.
Anyway, I am very happy with my purchase so far and I am sure I will be for a very long time to come.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:41 PM

I am thinking of bying a 4Runner. What I want to know is how good is the handleing in the snow and in the rough terrain.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:30 PM
i8u

Easy on the explorers please. Well okay...... The new ones with the irs are minivans. That's why I am in a 4runner now!

I can say I have have had good luck with them. My 91 with a 4.0L v-6 ran 170k miles before any powertrain problems. My 98 has a 5.0l V-8 with a 4r70w tranny with raised line pressure. It has packed on 190k hard miles. I drove that at elevations between 7-12 ft several winters in the rockies on un paved roades and it ate snow for breakfast especially with some BFG AT/KO's on it.

I knew when replacing it I wanted something that was at least as sure footed as it was along had the low end torque and a full-timae system.

Gaining an extra inch of ground clearance, an extra differential with a locking feature, and a low range while retaining a transmision with a fully locking torque converter, and a solid axle like my 98 had were what led me to the new 4runners.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I buy a 4Runner?