General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

vsc off and vsc trac lights on??? HELP!!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 03CanRunner
Sorry for the long write up, I'm a technical trainer I spew out way too much detail,... I know....
I had this issue too. from your message you do not have a CEL( Check Engine Light) which is on. That could be key here. Also you do not list what year your 4runner is?

For the 2003 to some of the 2005 model years there appears to be an issue when an ODBII scanner is hooked to the 4runner to get codes. Sometimes if a car is serviced for a reason other than one that shows a CEL on the dash the mechanic might still hook up the ODB scanner just to check if he can see any codes, or past codes....

So did you get you truck serviced recently? If this is the case, then the problem with this model year (2003-2005) is that sometimes the ODBII scanner erases the information needed for the truck to perform VSC.( but not always, so it is funky)

This situation should not prevent ABS from working. These are separate systems. If there was an ABS problem the ABS light would light up too. To reset the VSC, you need to perfrom a Zero Point Calibration. The TSB (Toyota Service Bulletin) BR 001-04 shows how you can do this, using another ODBII scanner or one from toyota, or there is also a manual way if you want to save a few dollars. I did this at the dealer with their scanner and it cost me some 64$. You can google for this TSB 001-04 pdf.

The other reason that this can occur is if a new key is coded at the dealer for your truck. I had both of these situations on my 4runner (2003 model) and reset it at the dealer. Other situations might cause this to happen too, maybe a dead battery??

The Zero Point Calibration basically tells the VSC system when the wheels are turning and when they are not not. So the calibration basically sets the truck back to zero point. So that VSC can do it's thing and maintain stability when it notices that the wheels are not spinning at a similar rate, slipping, skidding etc....

It is key for the above that you do not have a CEL or the ABS light on too. If you do, bring it in for service or at least bring it somewhere that will read the codes for you. Once you have the codes you can post them back up and or research what the code means. For the CEL sometimes it can be as silly and simple as a believe it or not a gas cap that is not tighten properly.

Many codes will cause the VSC and VSC trac to light up. This is not tied to ABS. Try it, on a slippery surface. You will be able to feel the abs kick in when you hit the brakes real hard to verify if the ABS still works. The 4runner turns VSC off under tons of conditions to prevent engine damage. Since the 4runner can use engine braking and cut the power when VSC kicks it. So stopping VSC will prevent the engine being used in this way, thereby helping to prevent damage.

Check out the BR 001-04, it will show you how to fix it with toyota or manually. Write back to tell us how things are progressing. maybe we can continue to help.
J
THank you so very much for this information. You included all the details that have occurred with my 2004 4Runner following a service AND key code at the dealership. Yet the dealership was unaware of these reasons and has insisted that my battery was the problem! It is not, as I had it and the alternator tested elsewhere and they tested okay. I am heading back to the dealership tomorrow with this information in hand, and a smile on my face that I was not crazy in thinking that their service had something to do with these lights appearing!

Old 12-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Default VSC Trac and ABS Lights

I had these lights come on over the weekend. All of a sudden while driving. I could not get them to reset by removing the battery cable. Each time I would put the car into drive, they would come on. I took it to Autozone and they told me I had codes 1223 and 1249 (ABS problem and Open circuit in brake light switch). I ended up taking apart the brake light switch (it's connected to the actual brake pedal) and cleaned it. The problem is now resolved!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Default brake, vsc lock, vsc off, and abs light on

2001, 80k miles brake, vsc lock, vsc off, and abs light on today. I have not had a recent oil change or have I been riding through a rainstorm. Battery has less than a thousand miles. However, It did snow last night and I park in an uncovered driveway.
I read the preceding 2 pages on this issue and am not clear on any definite solution. Although, I liked the remove and re-install battery cable solution (mostly because I understand it and it sounds easy). Unfortunately, I know very little about working on my 4runner. I would appreciate some more knowledge before I try to find someone to do the necessary repair or "fiddling". OR should I just ignore the lights. Seems to be driving ok.
Also, anyone in Denver, CO can recommend a mechanic? It has been so many years since I needed any work. The garage I used to go to is gone.
Thank you in advance for advice.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Unhappy ABS and VSC lights on and no 4wd

I've been looking through the past posts regarding the ABS and VSC lights on, but I haven't seen anyone posting anything about their 4wd not working with these lights on. I have all 4 of the ABS and VSC lights coming on plus my 4wd just flashes when I turn it on. I haven't noticed any issues driving except for when it's raining or slick and my wheels seem to slip like the traction control doesn't work. I took my truck by an auto place this morning and he advised me that it's my EBTCM (Electronic Brake Traction Control System) that needs to be replaced. Is there any other way I can have this checked? The part seems to cost over $1000 and that's not going to include the labor involved. I'm having issues trying to find this part online as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:49 AM

I have an '06 4Runner Limited. The vehicle was running fine, but I woke up one morning and a bunch of lights were on. The Check Engine Light, VSC, and ABS lights were on. Took it to AutoZone and he did a scan on it. The guy told me a bunch of stuff I didn't understand, then just walked away. He wasn't very helpful, and I have no clue what is going on! Anyone know what it could be?

Old 04-05-2018, 03:27 PM

I have a 2005 4R SR5, and the VSC, Trac and Check engine lights came on. Was recently serviced, at a Toyota dealer near Cincinnati, OH. They charged us more and still the lights came back on again. Screw the dealer. Looking for pinout diagram to identify OBD TS and Cg. Considering buying a 2005 4Runner EWD manual. Price is $90.00. Does anyone have the diagram for a 2005 V6 4R? I can do the job as soon is I know which pins are TS and Cg. Any help appreciated. Don't think I've ever posted before, but I have enjoyed this forum for years. Thanks for being here.