General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

vsc off and vsc trac lights on??? HELP!!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Default vsc off and vsc trac lights on??? HELP!!

hi, i've just noticed that my vsc off and vsc trac lights are on. i've been doing alot of research on this and noticed that alot of people have this same problem but got no solutions. suv still drives fine and nothing seems out of the ordinary. i was wondering if it is still safe to drive my 4runner when these lights are on??? thanks.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Smile TRAC, VCS TRAC lights

Unless you have had this problem during or after driving in the rain, the likely problem is that your battery is weak and getting ready to crap the bed.

4Runners have virtually no history of ABS-related problems. Every time you start the car, the computer goes through several checks of the braking and stability system. Low voltage during the starting sequence due to a weak battery can cause the lights to come on, maybe go off the first time or two, but repeated low voltage starts will eventually cause the lights to stay on and the computer will throw a code.

Check the battery. If it's OK, then you probably need to take your car to the dealer for diagnosis. In either event, you probably will need to clear the codes.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Default i had similiar problem

mine ended up being a bad alternator i don't how it went bad cause i had just bought it a few months ago but did up being the alternator.. i dont know if this will help but id just take to o Reilly or something and have them test it

Old 01-20-2010, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by kaychi
hi, i've just noticed that my vsc off and vsc trac lights are on. i've been doing alot of research on this and noticed that alot of people have this same problem but got no solutions. suv still drives fine and nothing seems out of the ordinary. i was wondering if it is still safe to drive my 4runner when these lights are on??? thanks.
Sorry for the long write up, I'm a technical trainer I spew out way too much detail,... I know....
I had this issue too. from your message you do not have a CEL( Check Engine Light) which is on. That could be key here. Also you do not list what year your 4runner is?

For the 2003 to some of the 2005 model years there appears to be an issue when an ODBII scanner is hooked to the 4runner to get codes. Sometimes if a car is serviced for a reason other than one that shows a CEL on the dash the mechanic might still hook up the ODB scanner just to check if he can see any codes, or past codes....

So did you get you truck serviced recently? If this is the case, then the problem with this model year (2003-2005) is that sometimes the ODBII scanner erases the information needed for the truck to perform VSC.( but not always, so it is funky)

This situation should not prevent ABS from working. These are separate systems. If there was an ABS problem the ABS light would light up too. To reset the VSC, you need to perfrom a Zero Point Calibration. The TSB (Toyota Service Bulletin) BR 001-04 shows how you can do this, using another ODBII scanner or one from toyota, or there is also a manual way if you want to save a few dollars. I did this at the dealer with their scanner and it cost me some 64$. You can google for this TSB 001-04 pdf.

The other reason that this can occur is if a new key is coded at the dealer for your truck. I had both of these situations on my 4runner (2003 model) and reset it at the dealer. Other situations might cause this to happen too, maybe a dead battery??

The Zero Point Calibration basically tells the VSC system when the wheels are turning and when they are not not. So the calibration basically sets the truck back to zero point. So that VSC can do it's thing and maintain stability when it notices that the wheels are not spinning at a similar rate, slipping, skidding etc....

It is key for the above that you do not have a CEL or the ABS light on too. If you do, bring it in for service or at least bring it somewhere that will read the codes for you. Once you have the codes you can post them back up and or research what the code means. For the CEL sometimes it can be as silly and simple as a believe it or not a gas cap that is not tighten properly.

Many codes will cause the VSC and VSC trac to light up. This is not tied to ABS. Try it, on a slippery surface. You will be able to feel the abs kick in when you hit the brakes real hard to verify if the ABS still works. The 4runner turns VSC off under tons of conditions to prevent engine damage. Since the 4runner can use engine braking and cut the power when VSC kicks it. So stopping VSC will prevent the engine being used in this way, thereby helping to prevent damage.

Check out the BR 001-04, it will show you how to fix it with toyota or manually. Write back to tell us how things are progressing. maybe we can continue to help.
J

Old 03-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Default Similar problem... Help?

OK, I've tried many things, but I will explain my problem here and see if anyone can help.

My '03 4runner was in for an oil change a couple weeks ago, (note: they also removed/repaired a screw from my left rear tire). I also went for a carwash sometime in the last 2 weeks, but I am not sure about the timing of it all...

Anyways, since a couple days after my oil change, my VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, ABS and BRAKE warning lights are all on, all the time. There is NO CEL (Engine) light on. I have read the codes from the ABS and VSC using the paperclip method (short between OBDII connector pins 4 and 13 then hit the brakes 8 times in 5 seconds). I get VSC code 43 (4 flashes, pause, 3 flashes, long pause, repeat), and ABS code 34 (3 flashes, pause, 4 flashes, long pause, repeat). By the way, AutoValue (Canada) does free OBD code reads, but they can only read CEL codes, not the ABS nor VSC.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe ABS 34 is my Left Rear Speed Sensor? (note: same tire that was just repaired) And from what I understand from other postings VSC 43 is a sympathy code for ABS?

I have looked at the wires leading to the speed sensors, they appear fine. Battery level seems ok, 12.5V with vehicle off, 12.25V with key in ON position, and charging is fine. Gas cap is tightened past 1 click (this one caught me a few years ago - haha), tires all the same size and pressure.

I have tried doing the Zero Point Calibration, but my warning light indicators don't ever go off as described in Step 8 of BR001-04.

How can I reset the codes in the ABS or VSC? Or can I?

Anything else I should look at? I haven't tried getting in to clean the speed sensors yet.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:57 PM
kwc
Super Moderator

To clear the codes, turn key on short pins 13 and 4 of obd connector and depress the brake pedal 8 times in 5 seconds. This can be a little finicky, if there are no current problems the lights will go out. If there is a speed sensor problem the code will return as soon as the truck rolls. Also check the sensor and make sure it is staight and flush with the axle housing if it is bent the signal will be weak.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Default Update: VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, ABS and BRAKE lights now OFF!!! :)

Well, I'm grateful for these forums and that I didn't go spending any money or real time on my problem. Recap: 2003 4Runner with VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, ABS and BRAKE warning lights all ON the day after a vehicle servicing.

After trying and retrying the Zero Point Calibration, Gas Cap tightening, battery removal, etc, I gave up on trying to clear them. I was too busy and I wasn't really worried that anything was 'really' wrong with my truck.

The other day I had to haul a small trailer behind my truck (including attaching the trailer lights to the truck). Later that day I noticed that my ABS and BRAKE warning lights had turned OFF - I'm not exactly sure when it happened but it was sometime that day.

Anyways, today I performed the Zero Point Calibration and voila! The VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights are now cleared as well (after driving for 5 minutes).

Perhaps it had something to do with the trailer hitch wiring or connections in the plug/socket? - I don't know.

Anyways, thanks again!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Default 03 4Runner

Originally Posted by Brad in NC
Unless you have had this problem during or after driving in the rain, the likely problem is that your battery is weak and getting ready to crap the bed.

4Runners have virtually no history of ABS-related problems. Every time you start the car, the computer goes through several checks of the braking and stability system. Low voltage during the starting sequence due to a weak battery can cause the lights to come on, maybe go off the first time or two, but repeated low voltage starts will eventually cause the lights to stay on and the computer will throw a code.

Check the battery. If it's OK, then you probably need to take your car to the dealer for diagnosis. In either event, you probably will need to clear the codes.

Hope this helps.
Had the same problem with the ABS lights. I disconnected the battery (both negative and positive). It didn't work when I only disconnected one pole. My problem was solved.

Also the check engine light came on several times and both times the gas cap was loose or completely unscrewed. One time I also had to disconnect the battery terminals and one time after tightening the gas cap the engine light unlit without disconnecting the batteries.

Do these things first before you take in and you could save a bundle if this method works.

Last edited by setsail4; 05-02-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Default Update: VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, ABS and BRAKE lights now OFF - Again

Well, my last post claimed that I had fixed my issue with the ABS, BRAKE, VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights ON, however, that was only temporary... they have remained on for the past year or so, and I have finally figured out the issue.

I ended up finding that one of the wires to my left rear speed sensor was broken - not anywhere convenient either...

I was able to track down the approximate location of the break by probing the wires that lead from the driver's side kick panel all the way to the back seat and then under the vehicle.

I had my battery disconnected for 10 or 15 minutes and this failed to clear the Lights, however after driving it for 5 minutes, the ABS and BRAKE lights went out.

I turned the truck off, and back on and while stationary, the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights were off, but as soon as the vehicle moved, these lights reappeared. I followed the Zero Point Calibration and voila! No more lights!

And I verified that my ABS is actually back as well - I missed it last winter!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Default my

Hello!!!!!!!!!! good post!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vsc off and vsc trac lights on??? HELP!!