Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Rear speakers don’t play

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Default Rear speakers don’t play

Hello all:</P>

Would anyone know why the rear speakers on my 1999 4Runner would not play, but the front and tweaters do?</P>

Thanks,</P>

Buf</P>

Old 03-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Administrator

if your vehicle has an factory amp, the rear channel in the amp could be bad...or if it is internally amped, then the rear channel in the head unit could be bad...or, in a lesser case, you have a wiring issue and it could be somewhere between the HU and the speakers...

Old 05-29-2005, 12:43 AM

JUST RAN INTO SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 1995 AFTER REPLACING FACTORY DECK AND REMOVING FACTORY AMP+ALSO KNOW THAT THE REAR SPEAKERS ARE INTERNALLY AMPED?STILL CANT FIGURE OUT HAVE YOU ANY LUCK?

Old 05-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Administrator

honestly, as trying to fix it goes, the worst case is that there is a wiring issue, which means that you would have to tear up all of the wiring to find the problem. my first guess would be a bad rear channel on the head unit, or a bad circuit in the amp. i can suggest a few trouble shooting ideas...if youd like...first, turn the balance all to the rear, then have someone turn the volume way up on the radio, and see if you can hear anything...a low hum, buzz, anything that may be transmitted to the rear speakers.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:34 PM

I had the same problem with my 1991 4Runner when I was installing a after factory deck and the solution to my problem was to combine the blue wire coming from the deck to the control wire for the rear speakers amp. they will then work

Old 03-07-2014, 03:08 AM
Smile Do this!

I myself have a 91 runner. i ran across this problem when installing my radio. it puzzled me at first, but it didnt last long. the remote turn on wire coming off of the radio needs to be connected to the factory amp wire that only powers the rear speakers in order to work. its strange that the rear speakers are the only ones that are amped, but if you look deeper, it kinda makes sense. if you look at how all of the speakers are mounted, you will see that the front speakers are stand alone with no type of sealed enclosure to mount into, however, the rear ones do have an enclosure to mount into. my assumption is that the rear speakers were intended to handle deeper tones to give more of a midbass effect. Thus, are amped from the factory to give the system some *****. with the factory amp running the rears, it does sound ok with the proper tuning, though i do advise bypassing the entire factory amp if you are intending on installing a full aftermarket system complete with subwoofers. at high volumes, the factory amp may cause distortion. id advise anyone to install an aftermarket amp to all component speakers. Hope this helped!

Old 01-27-2023, 11:00 AM
Angry

I am having the same issue with my 2011 Toyota 4runner SR5 non-JBL, non-NAV. Rear speakers did not work when I purchased it from the owner. Since the front speakers were working fine and I got a really good deal I didn't worry about it. However, after digging into it I noticed that the front speaker outputs had been tapped previously to run an aftermarket amplifier and sub which was removed before I purchased it. The front speakers are wired in parallel and the rear in series. I have checked each individual speaker (with 9 volt battery and known good speaker) to include the 10 amp and 30 amp fuses in the engine bay. I tried the Party Mode mod which removes the grounding source for the relays as well as bypassing the rear hatch speakers with a jumper, still nothing. If there is an external amp in addition to the stock head unit I haven't been able to find anything online about it. I will most likely just rewire everything in parallel since I plan on installing some 4 ohm kickers and a sub later on. I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket BOSS 800ACP with no change which eliminates the HU as being the culprit. Has anyone else had any luck chasing down this frustration?
UPDATE: I finally got a good wiring diagram from another forum for running new speaker wires to the rear doors straight from the internally amplified Boss BV800ACP HU w/ CESS-064-1f Speaker Cables to RCA Plugs Adapter, 2-Channel and 16-Gauge Speaker Wire. Then will tie the off the - / + of the old connector at the door. No need for the hatch speakers where I'm going with this. Kicker 47KSC6504 KS Series 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers replacing the stock spkrs.

Last edited by PH03n1x24; 01-31-2023 at 11:33 AM.