Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Considering a V8 swap into your Yota?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Talking Considering a V8 swap into your Yota?

I am currently finishing up my first non-standard engine swap, putting a Chevy 350 into my '95 4Runner. After doing much research, and wanting desperately to get rid of that boat-anchor 3.0 V6, it seemed this was the route to go--there is a lot of aftermarket support for both the engine and the swap. Be forewarned, though--this is NOT as casual a swap as the companies make it sound, and you will likely have many headaches before it's done.

I tried to put as much in my favor as possible, getting many parts that are engineered specifically for this application--motor mounts, wiring harness/computer (fuel injected engine), headers, bellhousing and all clutch-related parts, body lift (for distributor and header clearance). Even with these aids, there was still fabricating, and a lot of parts hunting for all the various accessories, etc. Be prepared for the unexpected, and don't lose sight of your ultimate goal. Also, have a flexible budget!

The Chevy will mate up to the factory Yota 5-speed with the proper adapter, and this combo has proven reliable with sensible use. The Yota T-case is also fine for the V8's power. The engine fits great side-to-side, but the length is a problem--you will need to move the drivetrain backwards about 4 inches to gain radiator clearance, and even then you'll need an electric fan for cooling (a pusher, mounted where the A/C components used to be). A new T-case mount will be needed, to add to the factory crossmember, and you'll need to adjust the holes for the shifters (this was on a 5-speed--automatics just need an adapter and cable rerouting). A suspension lift is highly recommended, but you can make do with beefier torsion bars and a reconfigured oil pan. The body lift, while adding unwanted extra overall height, is necessary--the firewall clearances are tight, both at the distributor and the headers (stock manifolds interfere with the frame).

I used Northwest Offroad for info and many parts (they use Advance Adapter parts for the clutch/tranny stuff), Howell Eng. Dev. for their excellent wiring harness and computer, 4Crawler for the body lift, and the local salvage yards and parts stores for the rest. Trail-Gear provided the suspension lift, which was already in place before starting, and helps tremendously with space under the engine.

Be prepared, be smart, be ready for a lot of nickel-and-dime costs, and surround yourself with good helpers. And lastly, have fun! Mine's just getting running, and I still have some bugs to work out, but I intend to do a lot of serious playtime with my "new" beast! Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 AM

A couple more tips: the Toyota does not produce enough current to reliably turn over a GM starter, so a relay such as a remote Ford starter solenoid is necessary to route the battery's current directly to the starter. Also, the stock Toyota fuel return line is not large enough for a TBI (throttle body injection unit)--it causes the fuel to back up and flood the TBI, making it impossible to keep running after a few minutes. The stock Toyota fuel pump (for multi-port injection) is too powerful for a TBI, so you'll need either a fuel pressure regulator in-line to drop the pressure, or a better bet is to swap the in-tank pump for a GM model specifically for a TBI system. These are just some of the adaptation issues you'll face with this swap. It basically comes down to what are your priorities--if a V8 is part of your dream truck, then it's worth the headaches. I know it's definitely part of my plan...even though I REALLY hate giving up my A/C for it! Compromise is just part of life, I guess.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:28 PM

Getting ready to the same swap on a 1990 auto 4runner.....Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Coultes
Getting ready to the same swap on a 1990 auto 4runner.....Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
How did it turn out? I am getting ready to swap a tbi 350-700R4-203/205 doubled - 3/4 ton axles into my 90 SR5 Runner.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Default help

Hello, I was offered a free 1990 toyota pickup whenever the engine blows...(it has over 300,000miles). I figured that I am going to do an engine swap so why not a v8? I found a 5.3liter chevy v8 and wondered how it would fit into the truck and how much cutting and fabrication it would require. I can trade for the engine so thats free. I have $400 for everything else. How cheap could I find a tranny? Whatever that price is would be taken out of the $400. Is it possible to do the swap with this tight of a budget?

Old 03-04-2016, 08:51 AM

The short answer is NO! Lol, even doing all your own fabrication the supplies will run more than 3-4 hundred, plus there is exhaust, drive lines etc. If you can make it a project just work on it a piece or two at a time and get it done in some time in the future. Enjoy, I'm piecing mine together starting next week. It has taken me a year to collect most of the parts. My 700R4 was $ 300 and that was friend price just to give you an idea of price.

Originally Posted by derekeaster
Hello, I was offered a free 1990 toyota pickup whenever the engine blows...(it has over 300,000miles). I figured that I am going to do an engine swap so why not a v8? I found a 5.3liter chevy v8 and wondered how it would fit into the truck and how much cutting and fabrication it would require. I can trade for the engine so thats free. I have $400 for everything else. How cheap could I find a tranny? Whatever that price is would be taken out of the $400. Is it possible to do the swap with this tight of a budget?

Old 03-21-2016, 02:32 AM

That will be long and bit expensive swap.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 PM

I agree its an expensive swap and very tempting. But make sure it serves the purpose and consider the running cost.