Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

QUESTION about Mobil 1 Oversized Oil filter for 99 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Default QUESTION about Mobil 1 Oversized Oil filter for 99 4runner

Hi I'm new to this forum but I have been a guest in the past.I serched all over on the search engines about finding out specs foradding a oversized oilfilter for my 99' (V6 3.4L)runner and couldnt find anything.
Why am I researching this?
I have heard that the benifits are as follows for using aoversized oil filter:
1) Larger oil capicity
2) Better cooling due to larger filter surface area (kind of like a larger"heat sink")
3) More filter media to filter moredebris, contaminants (and filter willlast longer).
4) More filter media = less restrictionAND aLarger capacity to hold debris so thefilter is lesslikely tobe clogged (and bypassed)on extended drain intervals.

Does anyone AGGREE or DISAGREE with this?
FYI:I'm cool with any disagreementsaboutthese statements and I just want the truth about this andI'm 100%open for inteligent debate.

ALSO, After stoping by my local autozone and doing so comparisons with the "M1 102" (OEM Size for my 99" 3.4L V6).
What I found was this the MI 209 is the same price (10.99), the same diameter, the samethreaded inlet,but the M1209appears to beabout 2" longer.So today, Icalled the mobil 1filter hotline and asked about using an oversized Mobil 1 filter for the 4-Runner and I mentioned the M1 209, and the hotline tech stated that this can be considered a upgrade to the "M1 102" Size.

This seems too good to be true....?

I alsoasked him the following questions:

Q.are the bypass presures the same with both of these filters?
My worry is thatI don't want to *uck with the bypass filter presure with a larger sizedfilter and end upcontinously run unfiltered oil throught my runner's engine.
A. HIS ANSWER:Everything is the same but the length of the filter, if it will fit, then your all good.

MY QUESTIONS:
1)DOES ANYONE HAVEANY EXPERIENCE WITH this FILTER ORINFORMATION THATCONFIRMS THIS?
2) DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS FILTER FIT IN MY RUNNER WITH THE SKID PLATE ON?I'm 3,000 miles into the middle of my 6,000 milesynthetic oilchange interval.

3)WOULD THE BYPASS PRESURES BE THE SAME FOR BOTH OF THESE FILTERS?

4)SHOULD I BE TOYING AROUND WITH THE FILTER SIZE ON A PERFECTLY RUNNING VEHICLE WITH 130,000MILESONIT?

Thanks, any suggestions on thisbrand/ modelfilter or another brand/ modelfilter is welcome.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:17 AM
BMJ
Default RE: QUESTION about Mobil 1 Oversized Oil filter for 99 4runner

Consider a oil filter relocation kit? I'm thinking about it. Up to 1qt more capacity. I think the filtering issue about loads of debri in the engine may suggest some major engine work on the way? I use a foam air filter and my oil stays darn clean. I can see light through my old K&N filter after the first cleaning and that to me means areas of no filtration. So went foam. Milage the same.
I do use the Mobil 1 oil filter. The one that is called for the truck. It does go in with a little work guiding as we all know from underneath.

I tried Aimsoil back at 80k from Mobil 1 and I liked the way my vacum on the supercharger gauge was slightly more.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Default RE: QUESTION about Mobil 1 Oversized Oil filter for 99 4runner

Yeah im with BMJ on this one. Plus you can use a bigger filter with that kit with no problem with the location.