Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Stalling and or hesitation when hot

Old 03-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Default Stalling and or hesitation when hot

I have a 2000 4runner 4wd. I notice when I have been in stop and go traffic for a long time I will get some hesitation when I step on the gas. Once the 4runner even died on me!But it started right back up again.It doesnt happen when its cold. Just when the engine is really hot (stop and go traffic). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 AM
Default RE: Stalling and or hesitation when hot

Maybe you have a fuel line running too close to, or even touching,the engine block. This will cause fuel to boil, and you get vaporbubbles in the gas. Take a look around under the hood, and tracethe fuel lines, make sure they are running free and clear.

In a pinch you can stick a potato somewhere on the fuel line, it'll act as a heat sink. Old 60's muscle car trick.

Also, high heat really makes things difficult for the electrical system. Make sure all of your primary circuits arein good shape and also not touching the engineexceptwhere they are supposed to. Then check all connections. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get some electrical contact cleaner (or WD 40) and some steel wool and clean all of theconnections to/from the coil, distributer and plugs. I don't think you need to checkconnections at the battery since you mention the truck starts up right away even when hot.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Default RE: Stalling and or hesitation when hot

Thanks Kamakura kid!! I will check it out. Do you think the throttle position sensor can cause that problem?