Creaks and Groans underneath ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Default Creaks and Groans underneath ???

My '99 4Runner 4cyl., 5 spd w/ 60k miles is in great shape, no accidents, no floods, street driven and kept stock for now. Every maintenance period I do what's needed, but I haven't repacked the bearings yet or changed the fuel filter (bonehead location requires removal of whole intake manifold to change it). No problems until now, but I'm starting to hear a kind of creaking/groaning sound in the suspension or frame, front and back, when I roll over speed bumps at an angle. There aren't any lube points that I know of in the suspension or anywhere under side except the clutch linkage which is lubed when needed.

Does anyone know what the sound is indicating so I can pinpoint the cause before going to a big expense to find out?

Many thanks.
Bret

Old 04-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Default RE: Creaks and Groans underneath ???

Hey, My 91 nade the same noises I used to work for Minute Lube When sealed suspensions first came out!
What I do is sray the moving suspention parts with Armor All or silicone spray IT WORKS11
Dont use a ton cause it does collect dust But it will stop the scruncing noise

Old 04-15-2008, 10:12 AM

Thanks Tazzman. That's kind of a relief since you seem to be saying there aren't any worn seals or bearings that need to be replaced. I was beginning to imagine suspention parts or the tranmission littering the higway in my rear view mirror. Still something that used to be lubed obviously isn't anymore. Sometimes it feels like things are loosening up under there too, but only on a sideways roll over something. Straight line bumps and highway still feel tight.

I have both silicone spray and WD-40. I can see the WD-40 penetrating into the creaks better but it may dilute what lube is in there already which probably isn't good - unless what's in there is a solid lubricant like graphite. I don't know. Do you?
Bret

Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM

Well ya might want to take it to a shop that does front end work!!!
I wouldnt use WD 40 it colects way to much dust & grime.
If ya take it to a shop get back to me & let me in on whaf they tell you OK
!!
TAZZ

Old 05-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Default RE: Squeaks, Creaks and Groans underneath ???

Tazz, Here's the update: A couple weekends ago I sprayed silicone lube on all the suspension linkages I could see under there. You were right and it did help, but just for a few days. I then searched a Lexus forum and there were a few posts where they said it was the anti roll bar which squeak/groan etc. while rolling over speed bumps and driveway entrances. Bad news though that the bushings on the bars can't be lubed or replaced so the whole thing has to be replaced. Just the same, I got some white lithium lube spray and with the spray tube tried to get it well into any creases in all the joints. Looking at the sway bar bushings, they do look bonded to the bar but in my case the bushings all look ok and the metal wasn't making contact with the frame where it mounts to the frame. However, where it links to the suspension there IS metal to metal contact there - so I sprayed there. That seems to have fixed it as it's been a week and it's gone! Just have to watch out for splattering that suff all over and wiping off the excess.

Thanks for your help!

Now I need to get that squeak out of the clutch pedal pushrod - hard to pinpoint updide down in there ...

Old 05-10-2008, 09:01 PM

The spray wont last forever But it is a Quick Fix
Glad it worked ( if your like me at all noises drive me NUTS )

Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 PM

lithium will last a while. I did that on all my new bushings when I replaced them. No squeaks or anything. Yeah it wont last forever, but it will work for a while. If the bushings are dry rot, might want to think about a replacement. THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY TO REPLACED PARTS! hehe

Old 05-10-2008, 09:34 PM

For sure!! I Hate Squeks Rattles ect I will try anything to keep it quiet Just keep experimenting LOL