HELP with auto door lock 01 4runner

Old 02-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Default HELP with auto door lock 01 4runner

I just recently purchased a 2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited and I can NOT figure out how to disable the auto door locking. I have looked in the manual but it tells me nothing and I have searched forums but nothing is helping as of yet. What happens is when I turn the truck on put it out of "P" (park) every single door in the truck auto locks. As soon as I turn the the ignition to the "OFF" switch only the driver side door unlocks leaving the passenger door locked along with the 2 back doors and the rear door. I'm sure this feature is designed for safety reasons but it is ANNOYING to me and I would like for all the doors to unlock when I turn the ignition to "OFF" or not even lock the doors when I take the truck out of park. I have a TDS alarm system on the truck that has remote start built in so I don't know if that is posing an issue or not. One thread I read said close all doors, turn the ignition to ON make sure the lever is in the P position, press and hold the driver side auto lock button to the lock position for 5 seconds then release but that did not work. PLEASE someone help me out because all the research I have done on the net is not helping me out here.

Also is there a cabin filter in the 2001 4runner and if so where is it located. The previous owner smoked in the truck[:@] and I can still smell the odor . I was told to replace the cabin filter but I can not locate it behind the glove box like it is in most 4 runners. If there is not cabin filter in the truck any good ideas of what to replace to get a smoke odor out?

Thanks,

Stem