Long Travel Rear Suspention 96+ ?????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default Long Travel Rear Suspention 96+ ?????????

In the process of adding the Total Chaos long travel suspention up front but haven't decided what I'm going to do about the rear. Any suggestions/buildups out there?
Thanks.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Long Travel Rear Suspention 96+ w/o cutting cab

Finally the racing season has taken a break so I could get the rear suspension finished...... errr (still need a coil that will take the travel and provide lift) I'm left with 13" of strapped travel and can still sleep in the back.
> Twisted Customs: (see Dec Dirtsport MIM) made the upper/lower control arms and panhard bar. They utilized heims with their special spacers on axle end, and bushings on the frame end to free up all the bind. I know there are beefier looking arms out there but these are the same as their competition rigs.
> Sway-A-Away: Supplied 2x10 emulsion shocks with high capacity remote reservoirs to keep the smaller shock cool. Brian Bell, of SAW valved them to perfection. > Light Racing's 6" Jounce controls the uptravel. > Spidertrax provided the wheel spacers to keep things from rubbing and allows the rear to track inline with the wider front.

The frame was notched slightly to reset the Light Racing mount deeper keeping things away from the tires. If this is too much work or you don't want to cut into your frame then get the 3" jounce and bucket mounting kit. I wanted more controlled up travel (6" jounce) and easier acceptability to make adjustments. This placement measures out perfect for up-travel contact. Also notice how the cross brace thing (technical term) was sleeved to tie the two hoops together for additional strength.
Ignore the length of the upper arm bolts. I wanted the strength of longer shanks but was too lazy to crawl back up there with the sawzaw. Its embarrassing seeing all those threads so I'll get back under there. The Twisted Custom panhard bar is adjustable using treaded heims at both ends.

Twisted Custom machined misalignment spacers to fit the factory mounts. All I had to do was drill out the holes for larger bolts. Removing the shock mount bolt is a tight fit past the lower arm mount, but it does come out. Could have used a little more room (up or down) here but that is where the tape measure said to put the shock mounts.
Another shot of Twisted Customs work strapping the bushing housing for additional strength and fitting the factory mount perfect.

Other options/improvements could be made to get more articulation and/or travel out of the rearend. I didn't want to reinvent the Toyota protractor or cut up my cargo area, at the end of the day its just a 4Runner and a daily driver. [align=left] [/align] [/align]

Old 12-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Default RE: Long Travel Rear Suspention 96+ ?????????

Nice...