General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 4Runner Computer issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Default 95 4Runner Computer issues

A number of years back my perfectly running 4runner needed a head gasket replacement. In my rush to get the suv fixed, I picked a really bad shop who took 3 months to put it back to together and run. The truck has never run the same and now has two problems I believe are directly related to a bad computer.
I brought the truck in to check out the "engine trouble lights" which has been on for a long time, and the horrid performance and appalling gas mileage. They cleared the system, and replaced the muffler and pipes. They also said the timeing was off, and fixed it but could not determine if the computer was bad or not. . They advised me to drive it for a while and see if it runs better and wait for any lights to re appear. Not more than 10 miles down the road, the light came back on. After bringing it back they determined that it was now only one error code which was from an exhaust sensor that they could visibly see was wired around at some point but said that it wouldn't make the truck run so poorly.

Earlier this summer the ignition had to be replaced, and this winter when I went to use the auto start, nothing happened. I bought it in to see if they messed something up, they did and repaired it. Interestingly, they had again made it clear that they were interesting in buying the 4runner. This I found odd because of all the problems. I had long ago resigned to the fact that the only way to be rid of this gas hog was to nightly park it under this tree in the back yard to the hopes that nature would claim it.

Cut to Chase: I had to bring it in again, same problem with keys and starting. I had to wait till morning, so I disconnected the battery. In the morning a connected the battery to take it to the shop, and the engine light was off, also of note. The speedometer for the last 2 years has always been way off, pegged at 120mph once you start moving, now this morning, it works correctly and for the first time since the head gasket repair, the engine runs and sounds perfect.

I've been told that over night all the systems cleared out and the computer reset. Do I simply need a new computer for the 4runner?