General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

blinking center differential light

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Default blinking center differential light

This evening, when I got in the truck, turned it on, etc. pulled out of the garage and felt the truck wasn't driving right. I then noticed that my center differential indicator light was on. I then pushed the button, and the light started blinking. The VSC OFF light was also on. I drove for a little bit, still the same. Any idea what the issue is? Is it safe to drive the car? Help!! It is a 2003 Limited, V8. Thank you!!!

Old 03-01-2014, 03:29 PM

I have had a similar issue with my 2002 Ltd.
In my case (and some of this may apply to you...) if I pushed the button on the 4wd shifter to engage 4wd, the light on the centre of the display was flashing. Over a period of days it got steadily worse to the point where I could not even get the flashing 4wd light to stop flashing even if I pressed the 4wd button on the shifter, again, so that I was not asking for 4wd.
A trusted mechanic looked at it.
He advises that the 12v electric motor that works the 4wd actuator is shot. He did take the cover off, exposing the ring-gear, and the circular contacts. He cleaned them up, and smelled the electric motor bit. It smelled burned slightly. That's why he advises the electric motor is shot. He thinks it does not have enough umph to push the actuator rod into the transfer case. The electric motor drives a worm gear which, in turn, drives the ring gear. (Follow me ? )
None of the above has anything to do with the VSC button on the dash below the display, by the way. That's something else again.
Anyway, the electric motor could be easily removed and replaced, but...wait for it...this is NOT available from Toyota. In order to replace a shot electric actuator motor (2" housing) you have to buy the entire actuator assembly. And, it gets worse, to install this actuator, you have to take the transfer case apart.
I could go on and on, but you may have the idea by now !!!
The actuator at the dealer is $1900.00Cnd, cash and carry. Who knows how much for installation. $1900.00Cnd seems like a lot of money to shell out for a simple electric motor.
Other forums advise that this is a common failure/problem.
Any feedback greatfully received.
Sorry that this reply may not exactly apply to 2003.
By the way, this is compkletely electric in operation:- no vacuum...

Last edited by CndRunner; 03-01-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: typo....