General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel line re-route in '99 4Runner

Old 05-31-2016, 03:36 PM
Default Fuel line re-route in '99 4Runner

I love my truck for many of the great design features it has. It also has a few boneheaded features which I don't understand why they were ever accepted. One is the routing of the fuel line which places the fuel filter in an almost impossible to access place under the intake manifold and above the starter motor. My Haynes manual shows that to change the fuel filter, the intake manifold must come off. I bought a new fuel filter when it reached 30k miles to changes it but when I learned about what I had to do, I kept putting it off. Recently, I saw a youtube video of a simpler way, by taking off the left front wheel and with some minor body contortions, it can more easily be changed. So with almost 100k on the factory filter now, the time is overdue. Still runs great though.

To maximize this effort, I might as well correct the design flaw at the same time and re-rout the fuel line now, so easy filter changes are in my future. My Haynes manual shows that the Tacoma 4cyl.'s have the fuel line routed in a much more logical and accessible way (why not the same with the 4Runner???). I'd like to swap parts of the Tacoma with my 4Runner, if this will work.

Have any of you had to deal with this and/or swapped out the 4Runner line with a Tacoma line? There seems to be some specific hardware where the 4Runners' line mounts into the engine. Optionally, is there an aftermarket adapter kit to bring the fuel filter down to an accessible place for my series 4Runners?

I need to do this all in one afternoon and be sure I have all the right parts, since I need to continue driving it the same day.

Thank you.