General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermittent stalling 92 4runner auto

Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Exclamation Intermittent stalling 92 4runner auto

Hi there so here's what's I got! 92 auto v6 4runner will intermittently stall now it idles rough then stalls out with check engine light on
Taken to garage numerous times for this problem code is just a misfire
Also lacks power on acceleration and poor fuel economy
So what I've had fixed as educated guesses on the mechanics part

Starter
Fuel filter
Timing
Egr valve
Igniter
New battery
Plugs and wires
Fuel pump
Catalytic converter
Head gasket
Now the gasket I don't believe was going but mechanic said there was fuel in the coolant... Yes fuel
I'm stuck at this point the dealership wants an arm and leg to look at it not including length time they will have it for I don't want to sell it I love this vehicle but this drive ability issue is dangerous because it happens unexpected can someone pls help

Old 12-29-2011, 12:31 AM

Sorry forgot 02 sensors replaced as well and there are no vacuume leaks

Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 AM

Fonnad, since I don't know exactly what the problem is, maybe I shouldn't comment on this, but I believe you're being taken to the cleaners by your mechanic. From what you've described, I would say you've wasted money on the starter, battery, timing belt (if that's what you meant by timing), cat. conv., and if your suspicions are correct, probably the head gasket. That's a LOT of money to throw at an unknown problem! I'm just a "shadetree" mechanic, not a lifetime professional, but it sounds like a fuel delivery problem (too much fuel, particularly). Since you've already done the pump and filter, maybe check the pressure regulator at the front of the fuel rail. It may also be as simple as a temp. sensor, because that would trick the computer into delivering the wrong amount of fuel. Also, take a look at the physical condition of your computer (pass. side kick panel)--sometimes water leaks in there and damages the unit. Whatever you do, I would get a different opinion than your current mechanic--he (or she) isn't doing you any favors with what you've described. Maybe get yourself a shop manual and a good voltmeter--there are many checks you can do on your own without buying any parts. Good luck!