Issues with steering wheel shaking - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Toyota 4Runner Enthusiasts Forum

General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-04-2018, 04:24 AM

Default Issues with steering wheel shaking

I have a 2012 4Runner SR5 I bought brand new with 47 miles on it. After driving it for around a year I noticed a slight shaking in the steering wheel that gradually got worse. Iíve taken it to multiple shops, including the Toyota Service Center, Firestone, Costco Tire Center and an independent mechanic and nobody can figure out the issue. Iíve had multiple front and rear alignments, purchased 2 different sets of tires which Iíve had rebalanced numerous times and had my car looked over multiple times by different service pros and itís still a mystery. The shaking is now in the steering wheel AND my seats wobble (Iím to understand a steering wheel shake indicates a front end alignment problem while shaking in the seats indicates a rear alignment problem) making it not enjoyable to drive at all. I havenít had a single issue with my 4Runner outside of the shaking so Iím not going to jump at any chance to get rid of it and Iím hoping someone here may have some ideas as to what I should have looked at to fix the problem. Iím taking it to Toyota Service in a week to have my serpentine belt changed and a few other maintenance things done and while itís in the shop theyíre going to checkout my rotors to see if they may be warped to a point that they could be making my car shake all the time instead of just when I step on the brakes. Outside of that I have no leads as to what I should have looked at so if anyone has any suggestions Iím happy to hear them. Thanks in advance!