General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'95 needing to "warm up"

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Default '95 needing to "warm up"

first and foremost I'm not a mechanic. this is the second Toyota ive owned myself but fell in love with them when I saw a friends uncle had 4 pickups and the lowest odometer read over 300,000 miles. I bought a 1995 sr5 3.0l v6 automatic 2wd 4runner from a guy my step father knows. it had been sitting for a while so when I went to start it up it spit and sputtered and cut off. crank it again and so I had to stay on the gas for about 3 min till it warms up. once it is it runs great. that is until I stop somewhere and turn it off for like 10-15 min. once I get back into it and crank it up it starts doing it again. I have to stay on the gas for a few min then it will idle without cutting off and I'm good to go. it only does this when first cranked. if I get impatient and two foot it and go it will run good. then when I stop at the stop sign above my house it dies. I figured because it was sitting for so long that it just needed a tune up and to be driven some to get the kinks out. I put NGK g-power plat. plugs in, changed oil and oil filter and put some lucas fuel injector cleaner with 15 gallons of gas in it..ive put 765.3 miles on It (set the trip when I bought it) and still does it. I was under the impression the fuel injected cars did not need to be warmed up. it has a lot of other things wrong with it but they are all cosmetic. there is a pull-a-part junk yard near my house that has a couple of them in it and before I go fixing the other things I want to get this problem fixed first. I really like my 4runner so if anyone can help please do.