Toyota 4Runner Forum - Toyota 4Runner Enthusiasts Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Toyota 4Runner Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.4runnerforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.4runnerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 (https://www.4runnerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/2000-toyota-4runner-sr5-3498/)

TheWifesYota 10-28-2011 12:38 PM

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Hey everyone! New to the forum. My name is Matt. I'm on here because my wife owns said 4runner. I figured the best source of info usually comes from a forum. Her vehicle is a beast and I love it. Shes tried selling it and I talked her out of it. Reminding her how good its been to her. It has 180K on the odometer and there are a few things that I want to bring back to like new condition. I hope there is alot of activity on this forum. Got kinda nervous when I saw a section that hadn't had a post in 75 days.....Ill give it a chance and see what happens. Thanks!

J HO 22 12-13-2011 03:08 PM

Welcome

Ladywithafan321 12-27-2011 04:31 PM

I have a 2000 SR5 with 172K miles. Love my truck. have put 102K miles on it since I bought it in 2003. No major repairs, just tires, oil changes & brakes & a couple of batteries.

Now, however, I have a burning odor under the hood which is a slow leak from the valve gasket covers which I am going to repair. From what I understand, while I do this, I might as well do the timing belt (have no idea if it was ever replaced), water pump, thermostat, spark plug covers, thermostat, cam seals...etc...I got a quote of $1,500 for the job...was wondering how that stacks up & have heard not too bad. Due to basically zero I've had to put out, I want to do what's necessary to keep the dream running...thoughts?

BucknutBob 12-27-2011 09:03 PM

Seeing as how you've put over 100k on the truck yourself, the timing belt is an excellent idea--it is almost certainly way overdue (and the water pump is usually always done at that time, because it's in the same spot, and it's a waste of labor to go there twice). And definitely fix the leaking gaskets. Not sure about all that other stuff, though--in all honesty, it sounds like someone is taking advantage of you. If it's running fine, I don't understand why all the replacements. How well do you trust this mechanic? I would be inclined to get a second opinion if I were you. Good luck, and Happy New Year!

Ladywithafan321 12-29-2011 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by BucknutBob (Post 8099)
Seeing as how you've put over 100k on the truck yourself, the timing belt is an excellent idea--it is almost certainly way overdue (and the water pump is usually always done at that time, because it's in the same spot, and it's a waste of labor to go there twice). And definitely fix the leaking gaskets. Not sure about all that other stuff, though--in all honesty, it sounds like someone is taking advantage of you. If it's running fine, I don't understand why all the replacements. How well do you trust this mechanic? I would be inclined to get a second opinion if I were you. Good luck, and Happy New Year!

I'm going to go ahead & do it. I've really tried to research this & the general consensus is since the timing belt, water pump, gasket seal stuff is all going to be going on, do the rest. The mechanic is well known. I've never even done a tune up on my 4Runner (:eek:). I'd like to do the right thing at this point & time!

Galvinee 01-07-2012 04:20 PM

Hello,
It's me Galvinee from USA. I am new to this forum and i hope i have good friends there.