New Member Area Are you new to 4 Runner Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Thumbs up New Guy

Hello Ladies and Gents,
Im a huge fan of Toyotas and joined the forum to learn more about 4runners. I have owned a Tacoma and currently drive a Rav4, but I am searching the market for a 4runnner! I'm hoping to find some place on this forum where I can get a good run-down of what year models have the best reviews. Im a HUGE fan of the 4runner sport models and I'm leaning towards purchasing a 3rd or 4th generation vehicle. Ive done some reading and know very little about the so-called "head gasket" problem of some of the 2nd generation models...but I still have some learning to do so that I am well-informed before I make a purchase! Im looking forward to seeing what goes on here on the forum and hoping y'all can help me make a decision! Its good to be part of the crew and hopefully soon I'll post some pics of my new 4runner!! Cheers and Happy Holidays to all.

-Dr.Jay

Old 12-21-2011, 12:07 AM

Welcome Doc! I am on my 3rd 2nd Gen. 4Runner, and I can tell you the jokes and complaints about the 3.0 V6 in that model are justified--it has little power, gets poor gas mileage for its size, and there's little you can do about either. Overall, it's a great truck, and I have had tons of fun wheeling and exploring in mine--just don't expect much from the engine. Only one of my three have had the head gasket go out, so I don't know much on that. I just liked the body style of that generation best, so that's the one I always go for. My latest one won't have to worry about V6 issues anymore, as it's getting a nice, torquey 350 V8 to pull those long hills with. Good luck in your search, and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Default 4runner Fever!

Thanks, Bob!
That's exactly the kind of stuff I need to hear. Its nice to get an idea of what people are experiencing with these rides. Im a big fan of the 2nd gen body style, too, but darn!...I wish they had more to offer under the hood. My eyes have been catching the 3rd gens lately but I think they are less rugged-looking than the 2nd gens. No less, seems that the 3rd gens are better performers and I think I can add some muscle to the look of it with the right accessories. I always like to personalize my Toyota's but first I have to know that Ive got a good running machine before I invest in its appearance. Well thanks for your input and Merry Christmas to you!

-Doc

Old 12-27-2011, 10:11 AM

I couldn't count the number of times, while looking up aftermarket parts, I've run into the dreaded (for 2nd Gen. owners, that is) 1996-up application. In other words, I think you'll be well-served with a 3rd Gen. model--you should be able to add a lot of things to it, if that's what you get. It's still a darn good looking truck as is--the later ones are where they really started to lose me, with the squared wheel openings and chunky lines, etc.. If my current one turns out the way I'm hoping, I may never have to look for another one, because I'm basically building my dream truck--and I'm starting with a rust-free CA truck with relatively low miles. Anyway, if you haven't found one yet, best of luck, and Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Default Nice!

Another helpful post, BucknutBob! As I am typing this message with a hot cup of coffee nearby, a 3rd gen 4runner has just parked in front of me. Crazy coincidence! I'm headed across town to drive a Black 98 this afternoon, and I'm sure that will only serve to spike up my 4runner fever. In the meantime, I'll be looking at accessories on the internet!

Sounds like you've got a great truck in the making! I'd love to see the finished project! Happy New Year to you, also! And thanks again for your input! I'll keep you posted!

-Doc

Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 PM

Hiya Doc! You're quite welcome if anything I've said proves useful to you--just trying to do what I feel these forums should be like. You can see my little beast in the photo gallery, if you like. I think we've finally figured out the last obstacle to making it run properly--one in a long list of obstacles with this non-standard engine swap. I've done many engine swaps, but always putting in the same model of engine--this has been quite the adventure. Take care!