Toyota 4Runner Forum - Toyota 4Runner Enthusiasts Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Toyota 4Runner Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.4runnerforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.4runnerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   Should I buy a 4Runner? (https://www.4runnerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/should-i-buy-4runner-441/)

rcnitroracer 11-26-2005 06:48 PM

Should I buy a 4Runner?

Hello everyone! I am considering the idea of purchasing a 4Runner. I currently have an 02 Explorer which I really like but has been plagued with problems. I am considering trading it in for a mid to late 90's 4Runner. Would love to have a newer one but cant afford. I have had a couple of toyotas in the past and currently the wife drives an 03' Corolla. All have been excellent vehicles! So basicly I am looking here to see if anyone can give me their thoughts and opinions on buying a 4Runner. Things like what to look for and what to avoid and anything anyone wants to share. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SanDiegoRunnah 11-27-2005 02:32 AM

RE: Should I buy a 4Runner?

4runners are nice.. im a first time buyer of a 4runner i have a 92 .. i waited awhile to find the right 1 that fit me.. i ran a carfax everything was str8 and you know the rest..

what to look for im not much of a help since im a first timer ...

i like driving higher then in a car i just love it...

Found On Road Dead lol Ford

get a manual transmission ...

Patrick 11-28-2005 02:24 PM

most people who i have spoken with who have owned multiple runners, have far preferred the mtx models.

rcnitroracer 12-10-2005 01:40 PM

It seems the ones I have found more interesting are the 99 to 02 models. I have been looking for the manual tranny but havent found one in those years. Did they even make them? I am getting ready to go drive an 00' SR5 4X4 with 42000 miles on it. Its in very good condition and very sharp. They are asking $16000 for it. What would be an ideal price on this?

Thanks, Sean

Ofsthun 12-10-2005 04:54 PM

I just paid $16000 for a 2002 SR5 with 47000 miles on it but it just had the engine replaced with a zero mile shortblock all under warranty but it's only 2WD. Now I wish I had held out for a 4WD because I just got orders to move to Iceland and I would be able to do a lot more in the winter with 4WD.

rcnitroracer 12-10-2005 11:26 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I went and bought it. I love it so far. :) It has more power than I was expecting too. Definitely good low-end torque. Now that Explorer is someone elses boat anchor! :D

Patrick 12-12-2005 03:34 PM

hm..i am not a fan of exploders, so i would have told you that the 4 runner would be a step up beforehand...:D

congrats on the new ride!!!

rcnitroracer 12-13-2005 07:34 PM

Yeah, I know! I should have done my homework before I bought that boat-anchor like I usually do. I guess the payment looked good and we were in a pinch at the time.
Anyway, I am very happy with my purchase so far and I am sure I will be for a very long time to come.

Sean 4 Life 12-16-2005 11:41 PM

I am thinking of bying a 4Runner. What I want to know is how good is the handleing in the snow and in the rough terrain.

i8u 01-06-2006 11:30 PM

Easy on the explorers please. Well okay...... The new ones with the irs are minivans. That's why I am in a 4runner now!

I can say I have have had good luck with them. My 91 with a 4.0L v-6 ran 170k miles before any powertrain problems. My 98 has a 5.0l V-8 with a 4r70w tranny with raised line pressure. It has packed on 190k hard miles. I drove that at elevations between 7-12 ft several winters in the rockies on un paved roades and it ate snow for breakfast especially with some BFG AT/KO's on it.

I knew when replacing it I wanted something that was at least as sure footed as it was along had the low end torque and a full-timae system.

Gaining an extra inch of ground clearance, an extra differential with a locking feature, and a low range while retaining a transmision with a fully locking torque converter, and a solid axle like my 98 had were what led me to the new 4runners.

MSinclair 01-09-2006 07:02 PM

I have a 1996 SR5 Forerunner (V6) which has been virtually trouble-free (except for needing a starter rebuild) and is great to drive both on and off highway. Its only weakness is that it needs more power to achieve its 5000 lb. trailer towing rating without holding up traffic.

However, if I were buying a new SUV I would definitely consider the 2006 Nissan XTerra as it has all the features of my Forerunner and has 265 HP which would be better for trailer towing. It is also considerably cheaper, smaller and more nimble off-road than the new Forerunner, while getting the same fuel efficiency as my 1996 Forerunner. My brother bought a new XTerra to replace his old 1990 Forerunner and is very pleased with its improved performance and features.