Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

'02 4Runner rear diff rust out

Old 03-09-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Btfsplk
I just had the differential housing replaced in my wife's 2001 4Runner on 4/29/2009. I've restored classic muscle cars for 30 years and have never seen anything like this. The rear cover rust was peeling off in 1 sq. in. flakes. Epoxy is a very temporary remedy and welding was out of the question as there is not enough metal thickness left to weld to.

The replacement housing, with labor, was $1400. Toyota has offered to make a "goodwill" adjustment, but has not come up with a dollar amount yet. Bad steel and paint prep are to blame.
Wow, $1400 is pretty steep hey? Has Toyota told you the exact amount yet? If so, how much?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Default Another '01 with rusted out rear diff!

Thanks all for your posts. I was under my '01 4Runner earlier this evening trying to locate the fuel evap canister (the check engine light went on last week and the code pointed to the canister). In the process, I found that my rear diff was rusted out and leaking, same as you've all described. It was leaking pretty good and from the look of it, it was probably leaking for a while (months) so I'm surprised I didn't catch it earlier. The plan now is to scrape away the rust to see if epoxy is even an option (might be too late) otherwise I'll end up at the dealer. It has 138,000 miles and besides the bad evap canister and now this problem, it's in great condition. What a bummer!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Default rust away with toyolet

Used to be the joke about Chev rust, now I'm crying too over the rusted out rear diff housing on my 99 4runner. I guess I should be happy that I made it to 178,000 miles compared to some with much newer vehicles with lower mileage getting this plague.
This is my third 4runner and have had two other Toyota's also, but I have been seriously shaken by this and doubt that I will buy another toy for a long time.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Default Just found same problem 0n 1997 4Runner Limited

Incredible, I just found out our 4Runner has the same problem, it is leaking oil from a point below the filler bolt. There are large chunks of thick metal flaking off the casing. Also the triangular metal piece that is welded on top of the rear Dif Axe has broken off! The truck has 134K and is always garaged and pressured washed after each winter. I can't believe it! The metal quality is terrible and then parts you are not able to replace. This is the first and most severe problem we ever had with a Toyota product. We own 3 Toyotas. I filed a NHTSA complaint because this problem, had I not noticed, could had cost our lives. I am sure Toyota will never respond to us as costumers, given the troubles they face.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Default Toyota's Inexcusable Defect & NonResponse

This post is a followup to my 1/4/10 post in this same thread. For a refresher, I have an '02 Runner Limited with 65K miles, in literally showroom condition...nope, not even a nick or pencilpoint rust spot. Always garaged, undercarriage washed if in salt, and maintained to a T. Like you other folks, I was taken aback to discover 80/90 hypoid gear oil literally coming THROUGH my rear differential housing...and even more amazed to find differential rust flakes over 0.25" in thickness, and lots of them. I have temporarily stopped the leaking with marine epoxy (three rust through holes), and halted the rust process with a complete POR-15 coating.

My local Toyota stealership still states "there are no known differential rust issues with 4Runners", and offers no explanation as to how my vehicle can HAVE NO RUST WHATSOEVER ON IT, other than the wholly deteriorated differential. A larger, and more distant Toyota stealership came to the same conclusion. Ultimately I wrote a detailed and courteous letter to the folks at the Toyota Customer Assistance Center (Torrance CA), and after over two months received a written reply stating they "could not contact me" desite professional letterhead with return address, and three phone numbers...all with voice mail and answering service. The letter stated to return a call to Toyota with an actual file number reference! I was naively optimistic.

I immediately called the Toyota rep at the number they provided with their written reply, to be put on hold for 44 minutes. When I finally reached Toyota rep "Carlos", he had to again put me on hold. Upon returning to the line, he apologized for MY problem with my "Tacoma". I refreshed him as to the correct model, and reinterated the COMPLETE ABSENCE OF ANY RUST ANYWHERE ON THIS VEHICLE EXCEPT THE DIFFERENTIAL. After again being on hold for another 11 minutes, he returned to state Toyota rust through warranty had expired on my vehicle. Again, I politely introduced the topic of DEFECT, appreciating this issue is not unique to my vehicle. His closing remark is that he hoped he had "assisted me and that my satisfaction was important to Toyota."

This is our family's fourth Toyota, and is virtually guaranteed to be the last. In my line of work, I must have 4WD as do all of my peers. I have now shared my Toyota experience with about 40 of my peers, most of whom drive Tundras, Sequoias or 4Runners. I have been in my business for over 35 years and know my peers, and they know me as being the one of the mechanically savvy car guys within the group. Jointly, they have at first marveled when personally inspecting my differential...and then marveled even more that Toyota refuses to acknowledge ANY RUST ISSUE WHATSOEVER. I know that at least three of my peers did not buy new Toyotas due solely to this sad Toyota lack of customer allegiance, and that many future potential Toyota purchases will not take place.

I will likely keep my 4Runner, closely monitoring the differential. Although not on the same 4WD plane as the 4Runner, my Toyota will ultimately be replaced with a new Honda Ridgeline...yep, ugly and pseudo-4WD...but after owning seven Honda's I know Honda stands behind their products.

Ya know, allegiance has to be a two way deal. So long Toyota, you've lost a real following of professionals who actually used to be Toyota ambassadors.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Default patched up

Follow up to my April 2010 thread above,
My mechanic said he could get a used axle housing (pre-rusted) for $1000, plus installation cost of who knows how much. No way am I spending that on a truck with 180,000 miles. So I cleaned it up, degreased and apply a liberal patch of 2 part epoxy. Two weeks later and it looks good, no leaks. I also found that the part that is rusted through appears to be a welded on rear dif cover, so it is probably not the same thickness as the rest of the housing which I would expect to be pretty heavy.
Unrelated, but I also replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders. The truck was barely driveable since the clutch was so bad. Mechanic said the clutch was shot and needed to be completely replaced. I did internet research and learned about the clutch cylinders. Works great now.
Time for new mechanic.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:42 AM

I just found this forum...I too am having the same exact problem on my 99 4runner and below is what I posted on yotatech.....I too will file a complaint with nhtsa

Just got back from the dealer and my rear diff is rotted thru.....2500.00 to replace....I am a very proud owner of my 99 4runner because it has not given me any major problems until today.....I have been watching the rust every year and ask the dealer if this was an issue....every year they said no....they said it was very thick metal and the rusting will not eat thru it......well....it did.......it's an 11 year old car and I do expect rusting....specially here in Massachusetts....but.....rusting thru to a point of rotting to a major component does not sit well with me......I expect rusting on the body work and under carriage but not to the differential to rot thru......something is not right.....the whole car is basically ok.....I am the first owner and it is garaged all it's life......serviced thru 2 Toyota deAlerships all its life.....I changed dealerships because I moved to a different town.....called Toyota HQ today, hoping they would offer even a discount on the part, basically I got the standard BS that you get from companies who would not want to deal with it.....they are legally out of it due to the age and mileage. 182k.......but my point is.....rear differentials should never rot thru....I will go to the dealer again tomorrow and talk some more.....I want a discount on the part.....I will pay for the labor...that's all I am after.....if they don't, Then I sadly say they lost a loyal customer in me and my entire family....I know they don't care if they lost me, but I surely feel bad about it....I am a Toyota loyalist....and I don't take that lightly......will post the outcome.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Default Update

Originally Posted by jrbluejay
Incredible, I just found out our 4Runner has the same problem, it is leaking oil from a point below the filler bolt. There are large chunks of thick metal flaking off the casing. Also the triangular metal piece that is welded on top of the rear Dif Axe has broken off! The truck has 134K and is always garaged and pressured washed after each winter. I can't believe it! The metal quality is terrible and then parts you are not able to replace. This is the first and most severe problem we ever had with a Toyota product. We own 3 Toyotas. I filed a NHTSA complaint because this problem, had I not noticed, could had cost our lives. I am sure Toyota will never respond to us as customers, given the troubles they face.

I finally got it fixed by getting a perfect axle from a Colorado junk yard for about 450 shipped to the East Coast (WV) and my mechanic made the swap for another 500 which included many rust damaged assorted parts.. Toyota wanted 3,000 to do the work (Staunton, VA). They claim I did not take care of the underside properly by pressure washing it "daily" after travelling on snowy roads. Who does "daily" pressure washing during the winter? I'll never buy another Toyota.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:46 PM

I remember seeing this company mentioned in an article somewhere. Has anyone heard anything about them?

please also comment about it.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 PM

I would like opinion about CRGE, thanks in advance friends

Please also comment about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '02 4Runner rear diff rust out