Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Rhino liner for hood/roof?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 05:34 AM
Default Rhino liner for hood/roof?

I'm kind of tired of rattle canning the hood and roof for the 3rd time. One thought was to Rhino Liner them. Anyone done that yet? Hows it look?

Old 12-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Default RE: Rhino liner for hood/roof?

I Never thought of doing the hood. I had the idea to Rhino line the underside and and the fiberglass top though. Maybe we should just Rhino line a whole 4Runner to see how it turns out lol. I would like to know how it would look.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:51 PM

I'm with you on the roof thing. I was kind of thinking about getting the whole roof done, not just the cab area. I've heard of fiberglass delaminating after prolonged exposure to water (which happenswhenits parked outside in Seattle) after its been damaged or the topcoat wears off. I figure if the paint on the steel has been worn off twice already, maybe there is some wear/damage to the fiberglass that is not readily apparent.

The underside is rustproofed, although it might be time for another coat.

Another problem is that with most of my weatherstripping being old, a lot of moisture collects inside the truck. The carpeting is always wet. One of my summer projects is to strip the interior and Por15 as necessary. Maybe instead of carpet, I'll just Rhino liner the interior, too!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:04 PM

After my engine gets in I was going to pull out most of my interior and replace the plastic flooring with carpet and putting either Sparco stitched or some other light racing seat from Sparco in it. I'm definitly not going to be Rhinoing the interior lol, but it is dry as f**k here.

I would think that getting the fiberglass Rhinoed would cost more than metal if you can even do that. I'll search it on Google later.Does the wet weather destroy even your clear coat?

Old 12-30-2006, 04:29 AM

Don't know if its the wet, sun, or wind but it gets down to the primer. Especially the top surfaces. Sides aren't so bad, though.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:22 PM

Thats crazy. It must be from acid rain since you live in Seattle. I used to live on the side of a mountain where it rained all the ****ing time, now I live where it is all ways sunny and the wind blows 24/7 and my paint is down past the clear coat but its not to the primer yet. I get sandblasted almost daily and my paint is still in decent condition for a 17 year old 4WD.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:11 AM

Happened to me when I was living in San Diego, too. Don't know what causes it, but it sure is a PITA to have to rattle can it every few years.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:17 PM

I started looking for busted places and rust all over my 4Runner and I think it would be a good idea to put a 4in stripe of Rhino around the bottom of the body and inside the wheel wells. All of my rust damage and most of my dents are in those areas.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:01 PM

I have a good friend that has an early 90's toyota p/u that rhino lined the entire truck. It turned out really nice and he didn't have to worry about the rocky mtn pin stripes and it holds up to rocks rubbing it as well. I do not remember how much he payed for it but considering it is so durable and low maintaince I think it would be worth it for a hunting or 4x4 rig.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:13 PM

did mine inside and out check it out at toyota-4runner.org in the 1st gen section

Quick Reply: Rhino liner for hood/roof?