Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Frustrated with JBL Synthesis HU

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default Frustrated with JBL Synthesis HU

I just bought an 05 4Runner LTD and it came with the JBL Synthesis sound system. I figured a new car like this should have a HU that plays mp3's. Apparantly not. I wanted to hook my Ipod up to it via an aftermarket interface unit but found out that this is not possible since I have the in-dash cd changer model (which is using the aux output). So now, the only way for me to make the ipod work or play mp3 files is to go with an aftermarket HU...which I don't want to do since i want to keep the factory look and be able to use the steering controls.
My question is this...does anyone out there have an 05 4runner with the SINGLE disc player and tape deck combo HU? If yes...does it support steering wheel controls? I'm looking at buying a single disc player and tape deck combo HU off ebay for about $100 (Mr. Toyota wants $800+ for the unit) but would like to know if it can be controlled with the steering wheel controls.
Thanks in advance.

PS: Here's what I need to do: be able to control my Ipod through the factory HU, see files from Ipod on HU, control Ipod with HU and steering wheel controls. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make this work without going with an aftermarket HU?