Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

CLICK CLICK & IT WONT START

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Default CLICK CLICK & IT WONT START

My 88Toyota 4-Runner V6 Automatic has a starting problem. Whenever itgets hot(4wheeling ortraveling long distances)When Iturn offthe vehicle andlet rest a while then I come back and try to start it, itgo click click click. Sometimes by chance, on one of the clicks itfires off and itstarts, but only if I'm lucky. I would have to let it sit a loooong whilebefore it would start.Now the problem has gotten worse, now itstartwhen ever it wants to; very unpredictable. It makes a very strang sound like; click click as if its comming from (just guessing) the starter,also a high pitch noice "eeeeeh eeeeeh" somthing like that. Doesanyone know what thehell im talking about, please help. ohh, Ive replaced the starter once already about 5 years ago and the problem went away for about 6 monththen cameback. Also ifI recharge the battery (new battery by the way)or ifI get someone to giveme a jump it starts right away. if anyone has had the same problemor can help me out that would be geat. Thanks, 88toyrunner</P>

</P><edited><editID>88toyrunner</editID><editDate>38478.9328009259</editDate></edited>

Old 09-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Default CLICK CLICK & IT WONT START

did you check ur "alternator" have replace it

Old 08-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Default RE: CLICK CLICK & IT WONT START

I have the Exact problem i put a heat shield on it and it didn't fix the whole problem but it made it a whole hell of a lot better the dealer told me it didn't need one but when iput it on it lasted two weeks i use for delivery so i put a 100 miles a day of and on on mine
when i put it on it whent for two weeks without a problem now it does it when i have electical units on i have already got the alternators and battery checked THEY SAY it's fine but i suspisions of a battery not having enough power so if you figure out your problem please tell me maybe mines the same At petrovsky1980@comcast.net

Old 08-24-2006, 07:52 PM

I have had similar problems in many different vehicles. I would get two new battery terminal cables. Not the ones that clamp the wire in the end, but ones that are factory made (does not need to be toyota parts, just not the cheaper cables) try that. A bad ground in a vehicle can cause lots of problems. Good luck. And it should only cost you 8.00 to 15.00

Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 PM

I would tend to agree that it is probably a worn out battery cable or bad ground. On my 88 V6, I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the smaller gauge wire that runs from the positive battery cable to the fuse box. It had been spliced twice and had three different sized wire sections that were creating a tremendous amount of voltage resistance and thus hard starting. Hope that helps.