Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Harmonic Balancer Broke

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Default Harmonic Balancer Broke

So I'm in the throws with a service shop who did a Timing belt service for me Nov. 2008 (about 24000 miles ago). However, now after having to replace my catalytic converter and exhaust, as they were clogged, the timing of my 4Runner was off. Something I questioned as to how that could happen only 2.5 years after a timing belt. So I had the dealer do the only thing I could do, another timing belt service... and boy was I shocked.

Basically what the dealer told me was that the prior service job was a bust. They were able to break the crankshaft bolt without even a break bar, just a normal ratchet. So needless to say the 217ft/lb of torque was not applied properly. This as I'm being told by the dealer resulted in the following pictures. (more after the picture)

So my 4Runner is at the dealer, and the shop I had the original timing belt had to have an "inspector" come out and evaluate the claim against the shop I filed; that they screwed this up. This was their conclusion.....

==============================================
The inspector observed a triangular shaped section of the harmonic bamancer approximately 1/2" on each side had separated from the harmonic balancer at the keyway. The technician stated he found the broken piece of the harmonic balancer in the bottom of the timing cover when it was removed. The inspector observed the crankshaft key was broken and a small section of it was seized int eh balancer. The inner surface of the harmonic balancer was mostly rusted and the mating surface on the crankshaft showed rust in spots. The timing belt was intact. The technician stated he could not remove the crankshaft timing gear from the crankshaft using a puller which is why the shop wanted to replace the crankshaft and gear. A broken piece of the crankshaft key was protruding past the crankshaft gear. The crankshaft bolt threads were was intact and not pulled or distorted and the thread inside the crankshaft were also intact and not elongated, flattened or pulled. There were no gouges observed on the underside of the head of the bolt to indicate irregular contacts with the harmonic balancer occurred that would normally be associated with a loose crankshaft bolt.

Cause of failure/conclusion:
The harmonic balancer failed from metal fatigue and allowed the engine to jump time. The previous timing belt replacement performed over 2.5 years and 23,959 miles previously was a quality service that neither caused nor contributed to any of the current damages.
===========================

What I'm wondering is if based on the pictures (they took more - this is all I have for now as it's at the dealer), does the inspectors story hold up? I don't trust them as they are from Nationwide Inspection, Inc. and I'm sure they are not unbiased.