Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

more power for 88 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Default more power for 88 3.0

I have been looking around for cheap power and came across a couple of chips on ebay. Now I know they could be fake but more importantly I am wondering if any of you have chips on your runners. I know that they are fairly popular in desiel trucks these days. The two I found were the (Juice Box) and one by promax performance. Both claimed 20 to 30 horses. Also I am wondering what kind of power you can expect from an intake? There is on made by Hiprospeed on ebay for $80. What is the difference between a cold air and a regular intake or are they the same? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:11 AM
Default RE: more power for 88 3.0

I have a 90 3.0 v-6. I put a high flow air filter and a new high flow 2 1/2"mufler and removed cat. Wow, what an improvement in power. I love the sound. I can actually do a burn out now. I had a mechanic tell me that a chip improvement would not help much, I really don't know. He recommended a cold air intake. The local parts house told me I would only get 3.3 HP impovement, for $250 that doesn't sound like much. Now I want to put bigger tiers on but having a hard time making up my mind on how big to go. I don't want to start having to work on the front end all the time.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:30 AM

Colder air is more dense, and holds more fuel charge. So you can get more energy out of your engine. Just like the human body, its much easier to run in the spring/fall than the hot humid summer, right?

Makesure that if you pay for a "cold air" system, you actually get a cold air system, i..e. one which draws air from outside your engine bay. The best ones have ducting intoan airtight box. Not so goodones just have a heat shield. Once the shieldheat soaks its no longer a cold air system.

Since we're talking off road trucks here, the best places to get that cold air would be right above the radiator or just in front of the windshield. Running an air intake way down in your wheelweel like the sport compact cars do will become really expensive the first time you try to ford a stream. Can you say hydrolock?

A lot of the "big air" filter kits still suck in hot underhood air. I have one of those, made by K&N. Makesa bit more power than OEM, but ducting cold air to it will make it even better.Which is what I will use to justifygetting a safari snorkel one of these days...

By the way, you can always rig up a ghetto cold air system. Just run some clothes-dryer ductingfrom your airbox inletto somewhere it can get outside air directly. Such a system won't help with the total air charge (most cold air kits alsoincorporate an air filter with a larger surface area) but you will at least get an idea of how much the colder air helps before you spend big bucks on an aftermarket cold air system. Just remember about that hydrolock deal, if its a low mounted intake duct then remove when it starts to rain.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:53 AM

ORIGINAL: dbloc

There is on made by Hiprospeed on ebay for $80. .
Did some googling. Hey, this is the $79.99 "short ram" system right? Looking at the picture, there's nothing cold air about it. Draws in hot underhood air, doesn't even give you a heat shield. Might be marginally cooler due to the location up front and proximity to the radiator overflow bottle, but definitely ain't no "cold" air involved

Just a big air system.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:50 PM

The cold air system may give two or three hp for the extra $50 on average over a short ram. I had both on my Eclipse and couldn't really tell the difference between the two and my drag times didn't show much either.

Don't put a usual CAI on your 4Runner if you live in a rainy area. Even driving down the road you will get water splashed up on it and make the truck run funny. This happened to my car with a short ram [:@].

Don't buy car parts off of Ebay unless you absolutely have to. Everytime my friends or I have boughtIT on Ebay we have been jacked. My friend lost $320 off of paypal for some RX7 parts. Another one lost his neon set that is worth $400 to a guy that never paid for it. I've lost $50 for some black halo headlights for the Eclipse. Ebay is a worthless piece of ****!