Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Paint - Scratched - 04 black 4runner sport How to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
vmr
Default Paint - Scratched - 04 black 4runner sport How to fix?

Just bought a black04 4runner sport a couple of weeks ago and did the dumbest thing yesterday morning. My dog got out and went looking for him through an alley way which had over grown brush was taking care of the drivers side not to get scratched when I here long screeches coming from the right side. Well ended up with multiple scratches on the passenger side of my new, to me, 4runner. Now, I’m assuming I can buff out with polish and or wax all the superficial scratches, but how would I get the deeper scratches taken are of? The deeper scratches do not go through the paint but seem to be going to through the clear coat. Seeing how it’s a black[/b] 4runner, should I even worry about the scratches and just wait till it gets more and then take it to get a new paint job? I was thinking it’s a black 4runner it’s bound to get more scratches sooner or later when I go camping or travel off road at some point so maybe just not worry about it and give it a new paint job in a couple of years. If anyone has advice I would greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I’ll post some shots later today if anyone needs to see them.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vmr
Just bought a black04 4runner sport a couple of weeks ago and did the dumbest thing yesterday morning. My dog got out and went looking for him through an alley way which had over grown brush was taking care of the drivers side not to get scratched when I here long screeches coming from the right side. Well ended up with multiple scratches on the passenger side of my new, to me, 4runner. Now, I’m assuming I can buff out with polish and or wax all the superficial scratches, but how would I get the deeper scratches taken are of? The deeper scratches do not go through the paint but seem to be going to through the clear coat. Seeing how it’s a black[/b] 4runner, should I even worry about the scratches and just wait till it gets more and then take it to get a new paint job? I was thinking it’s a black 4runner it’s bound to get more scratches sooner or later when I go camping or travel off road at some point so maybe just not worry about it and give it a new paint job in a couple of years. If anyone has advice I would greatly appreciated.

They told me it's not worth on having an auto paint service and body store for the scratches, since they'll be charging you ten times more for the repairs. You can do it by yourself (just like fixing your own tail light covers), just use a cloth terry towel apply a small amount of scratch remover or cleaner wax. Make sure to rub it in a circular motion over the scratch and buff when dry.