1993 4runner blow head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Default 1993 4runner blow head gasket

Hi, Just got my truck back from dealership after 4 weeks. Head gaskets blown. Long story but I need to know how many people have 1990-1995 4 runners with head gasket problem. There is a defect in these motors and it not uncommon for headgaskets to blow 1-4 times.. I have read emails of $$$ spent on replacing only to have them blown again. I was told my truck headgasket was replaced under recall in May 1996. I was told this by dealership to tow it in and they would help.
I towed it in and after 4 weeks was denied repair due to 1996 recall repair( no sticker in hinge) If work was done in 96 Campaign requires sticker in door hinge mine did not have sticker... The story goes I tow it in and under the impression I will get it fixed.. after 4 weeks I am denied headgasket repair but... TOYOTA dealership replaces my steering rod. Basically I paid ot have my truck towed into to MI dealership for them to make $$ off of Steering Rod Recall Campaign.. and I have to pay to have it Towed home with blown headgaskets.. I know I am smelling something too.
For all of you who do not know the campaign was changed in 1997 to include 1990-1995 4 runners who were not repaired as of Oct 1996 - mine was fixed ??? no tag in 1996. May .. but out of all 1990 1995 4 runners my Vin was not included in recall. ???
Let me know what is happening with your 4 runner head gaskets///. Motor swap. Toyota assistance?? advice.. email me ccrep@juno.com

Old 03-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Default RE: 1993 4runner blow head gasket

peanutzz,
I recently bought a '95 2wd and after some research, I found there was a recall for the steering rod but I didn't see anything on the head gasket. Can you tell me where to find the info on both issues. Do I need to have a local dealership check my VIN to see if the recall work was ever done? Any info appreciated. I'll check for a sticker too.

You can post me here or at: scarecrow56@verizon.net

Old 03-10-2006, 01:41 PM

Peanutzz
I'm interested in the recall information. I have not had any head problems but want to do my research on possible problems and be prepared.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:52 PM

I bought my 93 in October and mine just went about a month ago. I called the dealer where it was bought from new and gave them my vin number. They said it was never fixed under warranty. It has 163,000 and I think this may be the first time they have went bad. Luckily we were able to do the work ourselves instead of paying the dealer 1900.00. But the past week I have been smelling some antifreeze but nothing is leaking anywhwere. I am scared something else is going to happen.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:01 PM

hey peanutzz i have a 1990 w/ blown headgasket if you could e mail me @ francis_m_white@hotmail.com it would be gr8 to have as much knowledge as possible thx

Old 08-14-2006, 10:10 AM

I bought my 93 back in October of 2005. Three months later my gasket went. Luckily for me my husband fixed it for me, I just had to buy the parts. I called the dealer that it came from new in PA, and they said no warranty was ever claimed to have it fixed. I just had the relay rod fixed due to a recall and they told me at my local Toyota dealership that it was replaced once, back in 1997 or 1998 under the warranty. So they do go more than once. I think I got about 50,000 mile between the first one and now. It has been running fine, but the past week or so, when I shut it off, I smell gasoline. Its not coming from the gas cap area, I checked that. [:@]

Old 08-15-2006, 06:24 AM

I would Like Info two you guys are scaring me now ill be worried so far so good but i just got my 4 runner and scense i got it 3 mounths ago i put 6,000 miles on it hope to recieve email on that info Petrovsky1980@hotmail.com

Old 08-25-2006, 12:52 AM

The stories that I have been getting from my local mechanics as I ask about knock sensors and such. The motors can be good if kept in check. That is oil change, and keeping up with fluid levels. keep the temp at normal at best. Watch your gauge if it works. I have heard that once the gasket goes, expect to have it go more than once more. my 93 has 160k on it, just picked it up 2 months ago. It seems to have the original head gasket on it. but I have no real indication of it. I checked in to the recalls by calling a dealer and giving the vin. neither of the recalls have been done to mine either, and I am skeptical of getting the gasket one done if it is currently fine, I do not want to start a trend in its young life of gasket replacement. Rumor has it if it blows, your heads are most likely torqued or cracked now too. (what I have heard, not my thoughts exactly)

Old 08-25-2006, 10:15 AM

Ya mine went at around 160,000. It now has 172,000 and so far so good. Its always in the back of my head though. I have almost owned it a year and I have put almost 20,000 miles on it. I am good at making sure the oil is changed every 3000 miles, other than that I havent done a tune up on it since I bought it. The only thing I did was get a new air filter. My husband replaced my head gasket form me, he said the heads were not torged or cracked. I think if you let it get overheated it may do that. I know mine went when was about 10 miles from home. I put water in the radiator and drove it home cautiously, constantly watching the temp gage, if it got high I would have pulled over and towed it home, but I was able to make it without it overheating. I think it will just depend on your vehicle. One thing about the recall, I called the dealership where the car was bought new and they told me there was never a warranty claim filed for my truck on the headgasket. But when they just had that recall for the relay rod, the dealer who fixed it for me told me it was done once. They were able to tell me when month and year it was fixed.
Good luck with yours. I love mine, wouldnt trade it for the world. I used to have a 1988, drove it for 5 years, was a complete rust bucket but ran like a champ. It finally started getting engine trouble at 250,000 miles. We still have it, I am sure it will be used for an off road truck soon. The air still blows ice cold too.

Take care,
Lisa

Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 AM

Suspect that it was replaced before i got it. Everything looks brand new, the hoses, radiator, everything looks like it never saw coolant before. only thing thats making me not think that the engine was replaced is the fact that i really had to flush the engine really dirty the air filter had a inch thick of mud on it.

Quick Reply: 1993 4runner blow head gasket