Q&A FUN!!!! Oversized Mobil 1 oil filter question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Default Q&A FUN!!!! Oversized Mobil 1 oil filter question???

Hi I'm new to this forum but I have been a guest in the past.I serched all over on the search engines about finding out specs foradding a oversized oilfilter for my 99' (V6 3.4L)runner and couldnt find anything.
Why am I researching this?
I have heard that the benifits are as follows for using aoversized oil filter:
1) Larger oil capicity
2) Better cooling due to larger filter surface area (kind of like a larger"heat sink")
3) More filter media to filter moredebris, contaminants (and filter willlast longer).
4) More filter media = less restrictionAND aLarger capacity to hold debris so thefilter is lesslikely tobe clogged (and bypassed)on extended drain intervals.

Does anyone AGGREE or DISAGREE with this?
FYI:I'm cool with any disagreementsaboutthese statements and I just want the truth about this andI'm 100%open for inteligent debate.

ALSO, After stoping by my local autozone and doing so comparisons with the "M1 102" (OEM Size for my 99" 3.4L V6).
What I found was this the MI 209 is the same price (10.99), the same diameter, the samethreaded inlet,but the M1209appears to beabout 2" longer.So today, Icalled the mobil 1filter hotline and asked about using an oversized Mobil 1 filter for the 4-Runner and I mentioned the M1 209, and the hotline tech stated that this can be considered a upgrade to the "M1 102" Size.

This seems too good to be true....?

I alsoasked him the following questions:

Q.are the bypass presures the same with both of these filters?
My worry is thatI don't want to *uck with the bypass filter presure with a larger sizedfilter and end upcontinously run unfiltered oil throught my runner's engine.
A. HIS ANSWER:Everything is the same but the length of the filter, if it will fit, then your all good.

MY QUESTIONS:
1)DOES ANYONE HAVEANY EXPERIENCE WITH this FILTER ORINFORMATION THATCONFIRMS THIS?

2)WOULD THE BYPASS PRESURES BE THE SAME FOR BOTH OF THESE FILTERS?

3)SHOULD I BE TOYING AROUND WITH THE FILTER SIZE ON A PERFECTLY RUNNING VEHICLE WITH 130,000MILESONIT?

"Do you know why I don't like you Maverick?.... it cause your dangerous! THAT'S RIGHT ICCCCCEman….I is dangerous…!”

Old 02-03-2007, 05:00 AM
Default RE: Q&A FUN!!!! Oversized Mobil 1 oil filter question???

Just makesure thefilter element is the same size mesh, i.e don't do something like swap a 20 micron for a 10 micron. Your oil system might not develop enough oomph to force oil through the smaller size mesh.

Other than that caution, yeah, I pretty much agree with all the benefits you state for running a larger capacity oil filter. Guys do it all the time with Harleys, remote mountan automotive size filter on their bikes.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:46 PM

HEy dude, running a larger filter will not hurt anything. I run that filter on my 99 3.5 and have been for about a year. You will have a slightly cooler temp due to more oil in the filter so more cools. also it will filter more. Dont worry about the pressure, Its the oil pump that ceates how much oil pressure not the filter size. I change my synthetic about ever 4000 to 4500 miles and i have noticed sense i started using this filter with the moble one, that the oil is cleanner when i drain it then when i used the smaller one. I have never had a oil pressure issue. So yeah I guess you could say its an upgrade as the techline says.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:48 PM

oh yeah the skid plate is not in the way, the filter comes off the side of the block it does not point down to the plate