General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3VZE Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Default 3VZE Starting issues

Hi everyone, Im new to this forum, but have some experience with toyotas. Any way,I am having a couple of issues with my 94 runner. The worst and most mysterious one is as follows:
Truck starts and runs great, when cold. Once driven for 15+ minutes, then shut down, then go into store (or errands about 15 minutes or so) come back out it starts but idles very low and dies. Have to restart it and hold RPM to about 2K for a few seconds. Then it runs good again. I think it may be the injectors, but before I go tearing the plenum off and etc... I was wondering if anyone on here has had similar issues and what is the best solution? I was reading about the cold start injector. I am not familiar with this piece. What is its function and what are the symtoms of a bad one?
Thanks Thomas North

Old 10-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Default RE: 3VZE Starting issues

How many miles? Sounds like low compression to me, but without more info the 3VZE is a tough engine to crack (not literally though), since its a piece of junk IMHO.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:20 PM

Runningonempty,

Its funny that you are having this problem, as that is the very problem I'm having with my 94. I can tell you that it is most likely not the injectors or low compression, as the moderator suggested. I know this because I have replaced all 6 of my injectors and mostcertainly do not have any problems with low compression, but yet mine will do the exact same thing any time I do a "warm restart". I think you are probably on the right track with the cold start injector, but I don't think its the injector itself that is the problem, rather the control funtion that tells it when to fire.
I know its primary function is to provide additional fuel upsteam in the intake to create a "richer" condition for cold starting, but what I don't know iswhat sensor is tellingis telling the ECMwhen to fire that injectoror at what tempature it should and shouldn't being opening at.I will keep checking this post and let you know if I come up with anything else.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:50 PM

Well at least on mine I've ruled out the cold start injector as the problem. I just waited untill it acted up again and then I unplugged the injector to see if the problem went away, but it did not so I'm back to the drawing board for a new idea. I'll keep you posted if I figure anything out.
Jason