General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 4Runner Limited Fuse Box Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Default 98 4Runner Limited Fuse Box Problem

Hello All,

For my first post, I am asking a question about my 98 4Runner Limited. It has 150k+ miles but running well.

Some electrical systems have been failing me lately (power windows, horn, hazard lights) and the mechanic I go to has just been replacing fuses. So I took it to a new mechanic and he said the fuse box is shot and not worth it to replace. Anyone know how much it would cost to replace a fuse box and if I could do it myself?

I think the fuse box situation is related to this: About a year ago I had trouble starting the truck and it seemed like the battery was dead. When I jumped it, it would start and run for a month, then the battery would die again. Replaced the battery and it started well for about 6 months, then it seemed like the battery would die again. I took the battery connectors of and cleaned them and it hasn't given me trouble for about 6 months.

Anyone out there think the fuse box might be shot, or know why the fuse box might be shorting fuses? The mechanic also said other elec systems might go, like 4WD and I would hate for that to happen.

Thanks,
LLPJ