General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alot of questions if you can read it all -long

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Default Alot of questions if you can read it all -long

OK, got a lot of questions, I’m new to this forum and kinda new to my 4Runner. I am 17 years old and have a stock 1985 4Runner that has been sitting for a couple of years. It is overall in above average shape but needs a lot of TLC and a few mods. Well it needs a lot of mods but I am limited on cash, I have about $2400 to spend on it. It does run and drive OK but the steering is loose. I want to keep a stock look, it still has the original paint, I’ll try to attach a pic. This is going to be a driver, not a crawler or big-time mudder, yet, maybe later when I have the $$$$$$ and another ride.
This is what I want to do but know there are a lot of aftermarket parts that might be better then stock but I am having a hard time deciding on which ones are most important and also trying to find good sources.
First is to replace the brakes with the vented cruiser brakes and new shocks and suspension bushings.
Second is to rebuild the front axle, only what has to be replaced, and steering parts, maybe overspring if it is not much more expensive and worth the extra.
Third is to tune up the engine that is in it, 250k but still runs, rebuild later I hope as well as transmission and transfer case, I thought about headers but the engine is well worn and I don’t know if it will help, would be cool though. I think it will need some exhaust work too, maybe a whole new system.
Fourth fix up the interior, new seats (really need advice on these) and carpet, I need new door panels (especially the back one and some inner door parts (like window crank and tailgate latch).
Fifth is to install a functional roll bar and a new rear bumper.

I really don’t think my $2400 budget will do it all but it will do a lot, my dad is going to spring for new tires and a system once I am done so that is a ‘FREEBIE’.

OK so if you read all that junk here are my questions, at least some of them, and any advice from anybody would be great, I’ll be taking notes.
First where are the best sources for quality replacement parts, like for the tune up, and the brake upgrade, and stuff.
Second what aftermarket upgrades are really worth it and will I not ‘waste’ money on. Like rebuilding the front axle and front brakes and are the aftermarket replacement engine parts worth the extra $$$$, like which shocks are good and what kind of plugs and wires and distributor cap and on and on.
Should I just go to Advanced and buy my parts or should I shop aftermarket for stuff.

So what ever you can tell me or suggest would be really great. I want to research before I spend my $ and will be starting in the spring, I hope. I plan on really tearing it down, cleaning, repainting, and putting a roll on bed liner in it, under the new carpet, as well as under part of the truck.

Thanks Rob

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...ofMVC-815F.jpg

Old 12-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Default RE: Alot of questions if you can read it all -long

Welcome! Its cool to have another 17 year old around I was feeling kinda young haha.

You posted so much info I dont really know where to start. With that kind of budget I would focus on the engine, transmission, and the front axel if it really needs it. Replace all the fluids including in the rear differential. If you can, drop a newer engine in and have the transmission rebuilt first. It may run good now but the more you drive it the more you notice...trust me.

On the loose steering just go through it and check all the bolt, nuts, screws, and whatever else may become loose on the whole truck and you should find the problem. New bushings through out the suspension and steering would help a lot also.

For the seats I don't think you will be able to find stock replacements. If the seats are still in one piece take them to a reapolstering shop, if they are too damaged check Sparco.

For the overall tune up the only place I have found that has all the parts I need is Advance Auto. If you can't swap the engine then it will need a full tune up. Just go with stock replacement to stay in your budget.

Start off by doing things that don't cost you. Go through the whole truck, tighten, check, and fix everything you can that won't cost much. It does take time but its worth it in the long run. I will be getting a new engine for my 89soon so I'll let you know where I got the enigine from when I buy it. After you change all the fluids and go over the truck you will notice a huge difference with it.

I hope this helped you. Good luck.

www.lcengineering.com www.energysuspension.com www.sparcousa.com

Let me know how the bed liner goes. I was think about getting Rhino Liner sprayed on the underside of mine.