General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Another rear window question????

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Default Another rear window question????

I am having the same problem, I cant get the rear window to go down. I am not mechanically inclined to be able to rewire all this stuff. I tried taking it to the local toyota place today and they charged me $50 for diagnostic fee and said they needed more time to look into the problem????? Shouldnt there be a list of things that could be wrong with this window that someone could check then rule out certain things. I know they just want to spend more time so as to charge more money. I would be glad to pay them to fix it but they told me that they think its a short in a wire and it could take a few hours to fix at $95 per hour. I only paid $2500 for the truck I dont want to spend $500 to get the rear window to come down, but I really need to be able to get into the tailgate to access the rear of the vehicle. What is the best site for help fixing this problem????

Old 11-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Default RE: Another rear window question????

While I am not sure of a site to help you, it sure sounds like the relay unit to the rear window has gone out. New these units can cost $500. I got a replacement on eBay for less than $60 delivered. You will need to pull the unit which in the 1991 I have is on the driver's side in the compartment right behind the rear wheel well inside the cargo space. Get the numbers off the unit along with the model year. They are not necessarily interchangable between years. It is fairly easy to replace although you will have to climb over the back seat to pull it, that is until you replace it and the window works again.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:48 PM

Well, in my 87 for a while I was running a bypass via a jumper wire. In mine, the window up/down switch is located in the tranny tunnel cover. Pop the switch out, unplug at the connector and run a jumper wire to bypass the switch. Once done with the operation, replace the switch. You have to be REALLY CAREFUL while using the bypass because you are bypassing the limit switches: one for the door up/down and the other for window being all the way up/down. Very easy to burn out the motor, but heck when nothing else works and you don't feel like shelling out megabucks for the fancy switch/relay whatever in the back, its better than not being able to lower/raise your window. After about a year, I ended up biting the bullet and got the switch/relay whatever in the back replaced. Ouch...

Only a few cents for a jumper wire, worth a shot. Did I mention you have to be REALLY CAREFUL while using a jumper wire for the rear window? Oh, yup, I did.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:54 AM

hey, my motor died and the window was up. I fixed my window so that it goes up better than it did when I bought it, it cost me 30 dollars. rogy24@yahoo.com if you want some help.