General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end shake

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default Front end shake

Hello and thanks for the help in advance,

98 4runner----Problem is that the front end shimmys and vibrates over certain road conditions and in most instances the steering wheel will move along back and forth with the ripples in the road. At times it feels like the whole front end is going to fall off. It tends to wiggle side to side enough to make my calves wiggle like its riding on a big spring. Sometimes quick and violent if the speed is fast enough and the road condition ups the frequency of the ripples.

I have installed new tires, shocks and struts---but to no avail.

I just took it to a new mechanic and he did notice that the steering rack moved considerably to and from the frame. The truck has 215,000 miles. Toyota told me that they see the strap bushing on the passenger side of the rack replaced quite often. Does this sound right and does that bushing keep the assembly from rotating. Also on a whole different issue---if the sway bar ends and bushings were bad, would this cause my truck to act the way it does.

I'm sick of spending money on patches that don't work. My truck runs and looks perfect accept for this unsolvable problem. Any ideas out there???

Thanks for the time,
Thomas