General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Default just wont start

i am new on here so please bear with me. i bought a 85 4runner with the 22 re engine with 106,000 miles auto tranny.i bought it as a fixer upper the mechanic of the carlot i bought it from said it needed new fuel injectors so i bought and replaced them even the cold start injector as well. but it will not start and run it will try every once in a while but only a few seconds and then it dies.now i am pretty good at working on cars but this one has my number.i have tried a few different things and thought i had found the problem.i thought the airmeter on top of the air box was shot. because i took the top off of it and manually moved the needle and it would start and run and idle but would not rev up as it should.so i bought a new one and it did the same as before would not even try to run.now i do know that till that needle inside that box moves the fuel pump will not come on.and the vacume from the motor trying to start should move that needle to open the circut to turn it on.could the airflow switch on top of the plenum cause the problems i am having??? i have been working on this thing off and on now for a month and am about to burn itthe manual i have does not show all of the components on this thing. can anyone tell me where i can get one that is better than the autozone chilton book i have or a place online to go to get better schematics???any and all help will be greatly appreciated. sorry to be so long winded but its my first toyota and its kicking my butt .

Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Default RE: just wont start

Plugs changed too? I didnt read it all. Other cheap things to look into. Fuel filter, compression test, battery got enough UHMF, timing, could be alot, those are all the cheapest not is that order nor the order to check them in. Compression check and timing would be my first right after the plugs

Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 AM

i have replaced the plugs,wires,cap,and rotor,checked the timing,replaced fuelpumpand filter,it has a new 1000 cranking amp battery,and the compression is good as well.when i bought it it was already taken apart i i think i am missing a part.but the manual i have is not the best because my engine has some parts on it that the manual i have dont show.does anyone know of a place to get better schematics???

Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 PM

What about a Chitlon manual, they arent very indepth but you will find out fo sure if your missing something.

Also what condition is the carb in?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:26 PM

i have the chilton book and its pretty much useless unless you want to know about the landcruisers and it is for the 4runner also.and there is no carb, it is fuel injected.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:32 PM

Damn I had a good one for the 4-runnner I just gave it away. It had 83-95 I think or something similiar. I just gave it to someone with a 90 4 banger... It had all the hose schematics and ****e too.

Everytime I looked for my 3.0 info I found the 22r now I look for the 22r all I can find is the 3.0 stuff.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 PM

yeah i am at a loss here .by chance do you happen to know what the fuel pressure should be for the 85 22re motor the book i have dont even tell me that. i think i might have a bad regulator or i bought a bad pump one of the two.