General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Misfire #3 - possible sticky exhaust vavle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Default Misfire #3 - possible sticky exhaust vavle?

I'm so excited that I found this forum - I hope you guys can help!!

I have a 1998 SR5 4X4, 3.4 L 5VZ-FE (130K miles ) with an intermittent misfiring problem. The engine sometimes runs rough (misfires) when I start it after parking with a warm engine. After a few minutes of driving the CEL will blink and at one point (after accelerating onto the freeway) it stayed lit.

My mechanic found an error code for 'misfire #3' and traced the problem to a shorted spark plug wire. He replaced all the wires, the coils, and the spark plugs and it seemed to fix it. But on the way home I stopped at the store (5-minutes of driving) and when I came out - it began misfiring (with the blinking CEL) again! Of course when I started it to take it back to him in the morning it ran just fine and the CEL was off.

My mechanic now suspects a sticking exhaust valve
and is trying to re-create the problem so he can check the compression.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is there a quick fix other than a (very expensive) valve job?

Old 09-23-2009, 03:30 PM

I am having the exact same problem with my 2000 except it is cyl 2 & 5. I gunned it entering a highway and it blinked then stayed on. checked code cleared code and any time I drive at 75+ it will randomly blink then go off roughly 120k just bought it private sale has new plugs wires coils. I am wondering if the guy didn't gap the plugs correctly

Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Default Mystery Solved

I had a bad injector on cylinder #3. The problem was intermittent and it took me this long to get to my mechanic while it was occuring. As soon as I did - he got it!!

Several weeks and many miles since and no troubles.