General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious Fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Default Mysterious Fire

I have a 1990 4runner that mysteriously caught fire two days before Christmas at 1am (engine off). The fire seems to have started between the blower assembly and the firewall. Has this ever happened to anybody? Anyway, I’m in the process of rebuilding her, but am having trouble finding the dash wiring harness. If anyone could tell were to find it, I would appreciate it. thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Default RE: Mysterious Fire

A short plus flammable insulation...I bet that was fun. Sorry to hear that. Check junkyards even if you have to go pull it your self or ifyou can't find itgo to the stealership.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:01 PM

I was talking to one of my neighbors who saw the fire start and he said that there was a laud "poof" right before the whole truck caught fire. My friend's brother who is a mechanic for Pontiac said that if the fire was caused by an electrical short, there would be no "poof". Anyway, I have another problem. For some reason the key will not go into the ignition. The fire did not reach that part of the truck so I'm wondering if there is some kind of anti-theft system in these trucks that prevents the key from even being inserted after the battery has been disconnected.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:50 PM

On a 90 there shouldn't be any anti-theft system that would be that advanced. I have no idea why the key wouldn't be going in. There are a lot of reasons why your neighbors would hear a poof. The fire may have been caused by electrical. Other than that all I can think of is vandalism. You'll just have to repair the wires and try it again i guess.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:17 PM

It's starting to look a lot likearson now. The fire seems to have originated outside of the truck and worked its way in through the firewall. I moved it to my neighbor's yard so that it wouldn't get ticketed and this morning I found a carpet underneath it. I confronted a guy who lives (more like squats) in my neighbor's house about the carpet and he said it wasn't his, even though I saw him take out of his van yesterday. I'm going to file a police report today and call an electrician to repair the wires and the ignition.