General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member Q's Keyless entry, Auto locking???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:59 AM
Default New member Q's Keyless entry, Auto locking???

Please forgive me newbie questions and crazy post length here. I just traded in my beloved '97 BMW M3 for a very clean 2000 SR5 4Runner. It is hard going from the best handling car produced (in 97 anyway) to a 4x4 but I am moving from Dallas, TX to northeastern Wyoming for work and know the BMW is not going to cut it there. It's also hard to put my muddy dogs in the back of the M3, knowing that the leather will never be the same. I have always lusted over friend’s 4runners and now I am very happy with my purchase.

I noticed when I got home from the stealership that the remotes given with my new keys were not Toyota remotes and looked awful new for a 100k mile car. Soon after that one I noticed that they didn't do JACK either. The stealer (used car guy, go figure) said the next time his keyless remote expert comes in, he will give me a call and I can come out (40 miles) and he will figure it out. After a bit of detective work I see that my remotes say 'K-9 Mundial', which leads to what appears to be a total POS alarm. (Sorry if any one here has one, it's just looks really cheap) (I just saw the alarm online, there isn't one I could find in the 4Runner) I'm guessing that either the dealer or the auction he bought it from just put them in with the keys to add to the trucks value. It was specifically advertised as 'keyless entry.'

Now I am a little pissed, but I got a good deal on it, and I know what he paid at auction so I know he's not going to hook me up with new Toyota remotes or anything, and I love it so I'm not going to demand my money back. If his 'keyless remote' expert does show up, and I have time to drive back out there I will, but I think It's going to be easier to just let him off the hook and take things on myself.

So to my point (finally) Can anyone tell me if all 2000 SR5 automatics have keyless entry? If so I know new Toyota remotes are bank so that is probably not going to happen. Can a used remote be reprogrammed? If so, how? Could I just get an aftermarket alarm and use those remotes to do my bidding? Any suggestions on an alarm or keyless entry system?

Next question: (sorry for the book here) I notice that this thing locks itself when you start it, when you go over 40mph, and pretty much when ever it's running and it gets the chance. Now I can appreciate the safety and security benefit but when I grew up in Wyoming I left my keys in my car 24/7 for years. When it's 40 below you leave your car running when you go into the grocery store. I can't have that sucker locking itself all the time, I'm going to lock myself out, lock my dogs in and look like the idiot that I am while freezing my tail off. Does anyone know how to turn off this feature while keeping the power lock aspect operational?

I'm sure I will have more questions soon, I've only had it for a few hours here. Hopefully this board will be as helpful as the other automotive boards I've been on and I'm looking forward to learning a lot and making some new friends. Thank you in advance for sharing your insight and knowledge with a new member.

pete

Old 07-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Default RE: New member Q's Keyless entry, Auto locking???

USUALLY THE REMOTES ALMOST NEVER LOOSE PROGRAMING. I WOULD LOOK ELSE WHERE FOR THE PROBLEM. BUT PROGRAMMING IS EASY. ARE U READY ? U MUST DO EACH STEP WITHIN 5SEC.

FIRST PUT KEY IN THE ON POSITION.
NEXT FIND VALET SWITCH UNDER DASH AND PUSH 5 X.
U WILL HERE CONFIRMATION TONE OUT OF SIREN.
IF U DON'T HERE THIS TONE THEN TRY AGAIN.
IF U STILL DONT HERE THE TONE THEN THE SIREN MAY HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED. AND U WILL HAVE TO DO THIS BLIND.
NEXT PUSH THE VALET ONE MORE TIME. AFTER CONFIRMATION TONE.ABOUT 3SEC.
NEXT PRESS THE #1 BUTTON ON THE REMOTE.
TAKE THE KEY OUT AND YOUR DONE.

IF THIS DOESN'T WORK THEN THE UNIT NEEDS TO BE SERVICED. DONT BOTHER SPENDING MONEY ON A NEW SYSTEM.
GO TO THE DEALERSHIP AND GET A NEW O.E.M. REMOTE. IT WILL LOCK/UNLOCK/ROLL BACK WINDOW DOWN. K-9 SYSTEM CANNOT ROLL THE WINDOW DOWN. WHERE AS THE FACTORY REMOTE DOES. DEPENDING ON THE YEAR.

AUTO LOCKING IS FINE. AFTER 20+MPH. BUT IF IT LOCKS AS SOON AS U START YOUR VEHICLE THEN IT'S AN OPTION ON THE K-9 THAT IS ENABLED AND CAN BE SHUT OFF IN THE K-9 PROGRAMMING MANUAL. AUTO UNLOCKING IS ALSO ANOTHER K-9 FEATURE AND IT'S WHEN U SHUT OFF YOUR CAR AND PULL THE KEY OUT THE DOORS WILL UNLOCK.

GOOD LUCK.