General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 sensors?? help anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Default o2 sensors?? help anyone?

OK well ive been getting HORRIBLE gas mileage on my 1995 4runner SR5 now for quite a while. Ive been told to get a few things changed. one of which is the O2 sensors. Now my boss said he could change them for me if i could find out where they are. Does anyone know where the o2 sensors are on my model?? Its a 95 4runner sr5 sequoia. Ive checked for manuals online but cant find one. any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-23-2007, 02:02 AM
Default RE: o2 sensors?? help anyone?

Start at your exhaust manifold and work your way back. What looks like aspark plug sticking out of the tubing somewhere between the exhaust ports and the catalytic converter is theO2 sensor.Given yours is a 95, its probably of the 4-wire type instead of the older single wire type.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:08 AM

awesome thanks alot. Do you have any idea how many there is that i need to buy? when you say 4 wire does that mean 4 sensors?? also is there anywhere online i can find like a manual for these vehicles?

Old 01-23-2007, 04:27 AM

Nope, just one sensor. 1 wire or 4 wire refers to the number of wires coming out of a single sensor. You need to know which kind you have when buying a replacment.
As far as manuals, check with some of the Toyota specialty stores like Northwest Off Road or Downey, they should be able to hook you up.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:29 AM

wicked thanks alot i appreciate the help. If i go to napa or something like that and give them the year and model and what not they should know the part to hook me up with eh?? Is it a hard thing to change? my boss said he knows how but im not sure how much confidence i have in him...and 1 more quick question if you dont mind...is changing a fuel filter a hard thing to do?? im told it might give me some better mileage and power.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:38 AM

Fuel filter - easy if you have a carb'ed engine. Especailly if the filter is in the engine compartment instead of back near the fuel tank.

Kind of a PITA if you have a EFI engine. For EFI you need to depressurize the system first, plus the book (Chiltons)saysthe filter is located under the intake manifold, and with a 4-cyl engineyou might have to remove the starter! Yikes...

Unless you have a carb'ed engine, you may want to have a pro do the fuel filter swap.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:42 AM

holy ok thanks for the warning haha! um its a 6-cyl that i drive though. If its carb'd doesnt that mean it doesnt use a fuel filter? or am i thinking of something completely different?

Old 01-23-2007, 04:48 AM

Mostcarbed car enginesuse fuel filters as well. Either the filter is inside the carb itselfor is an external one somewhere in the fuel line.

If you have a carbed engine and don't have a fuel filter, you oughta put one in. Doesn't take much to clog a jet, they are basically pinholes.

Lot cheaper to replace a filter rather than a carb.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:56 AM

so how would i know whether it is carbed or not??

Old 01-23-2007, 05:00 AM

95 with a V-6, you have EFI.

Quick Reply: o2 sensors?? help anyone?