General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oem oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Default oem oil cooler

help!!! got a 92 4 runner 4x4 with the 3.0 v-6 and the oem oil cooler leaks, i have tried replacing o-rings etc etc. to no avail, does anyone know of a way to block off the oem cooler and replace it with a air over oil conventional cooler? or is there a source for an o-e-m replacement? this cooler is water over oil by the way and engine oil is cooled via rubber hosed coolant lines from the radiator to the cooler housing.....help i am at my wits end.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:22 AM
Default RE: oem oil cooler

Sarge, sorry but no specific experience with the 4Runner oil cooler.

But from general knowledge, a couple options come to mind. Can you run the coolant lines together and bypass the oil cooler altogether? Maybe a direct outlet to inlet connection like a feedback loop? Then you could remove the oem oil cooler and run a plain old air over oil cooler.

If that's not possible, then maybe disconnect the oil lines to the oem cooler, and plug then so the oem oil cooler becomes just another radiator/heat sink for coolant. Then run a plain old oil cooler.

BTW, when you say leak do you mean creating a puddle on the ground, or water getting into your oil?

Old 11-28-2006, 01:53 PM

thought of running as you say a loop circuit on coolant lines, that would work, but the problem is engine oil leaking onto the ground from the engine oil cooler cooler itself, i believe it has been overtorqued or is mishaped somehow and will not seal, i was looking for an o-e-m replacement. or a block off so that i could run a conventional air over oil cooler from the oil filter base.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:12 PM

I have the exact same problem on my '92 4runner with the V6. I have the factory manuals and it shows an o-ring and a gasket in the assembly. Send me your email and I will send a PDF of the exploded drawing from the manual with the torque specs.

Maybe some permtex or other sealing agent could help also.

I have been waiting for the weather to get warmer befor I tried tackling this but it is making a total mess in my garage. The widnchill is 10 below today and my garage isn't heated.

I looked and looked but I could not find anything online as far as an OEM replacement part.

dmoran@new.rr.com