General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parked was fine/just cranks wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Default parked was fine/just cranks wont start

I have a 88 4-runner 22re 5spd fuel inj.Itsat for almost 2 years,then i took few hoses and air intake system and also diconnectet feul filter ,I put all back on ,reached in window and it sarted right up ,drove around yard few timmes and then parked it 2 months later i went to move it and now it cranks but wount start ,Ihave checked fire at 1 plug(it has arc)can hear the click when i turn key on I have ohmed most fuses and have found nothing ...........if i shoot some starter fluid in the trottle body it will try to start until that burns off ?? feul pump?....injectors//.....not depressurizing fuel sytem before unhooking gas line??ANY HELP/ADVISE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default Same Thing Here

I am having the same exact problem.

1987 22RE 4Runner.

It has been sitting for a year or two. Occasionally I would fire it up (every 3 to 6 months) and it would run fine. But this time I have tried firing it, the motor cranks but it won't fire.

If I spray starter fluid into the intake, the engine will run as long as I continue to spray. When I stop spraying, the engine dies.

I have 'spray ran' the engine for a good 20 to 30 seconds (enough time I would think for the fuel pump to deliver fuel from the tank to the engine) but it still dies.

I am under the assumption it isn't getting fuel.

There is at least five gallons of fresh fuel in the tank.

How do I verify the fuel pump is working?

If it is a faulty (or gummed up) fuel pump, where is it located (in-tank or engine bay), and how involved is it's removal?

Is a gummed up/varnished/jellied fuel pump a likely scenario and if so can it be cleaned or will it need replacement?

Looking forward to reading you responces, thanks for sharing.

Steve