General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

power steering pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Default power steering pressure switch

hi guys, i am new to this forum, and beyond frustrated with my rig. i have a 1990 toyota 4runner, 3.0 v6, 5 speed manual trans. nothing on this rebuild has been what it "should" have been, down to the fire order. my current issue, is that the nipples on the power steering pressure switch are broken, and i cannot find one locally. this is also my only vehicle. i am trying to order a new switch from the dealer, but in the mean time, need a car. what i need to know, is if i block this switch temporarily, how bad is it going to mess up my steering system, or will it be ok for about 2 weeks til i can get the new part and install it? i am over $5k into this rebuild, and dont want to screw it up now..

Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Default RE: power steering pressure switch

if im not mistaken that is a switch that has two vacuum line running off it.if that is the case i broke mine off about two years ago bought a oil plug at autozone and plugged that sob up.hadnt had a problem yet.but its your call.i also have a 90 love it and hate it. but its a good truck for the most part.good luck

Old 10-26-2008, 10:00 PM

awesome, that's the exact part i was talking about, but everyone here kept telling me if i plugged it, i would have to replace everything because it would cause leaks, and i am getting really tired of working on this truck!! i have had it for 2 years now, and only gotten to drive it 4 times!! i will head down to az in the morning

Old 12-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sregor1

hi guys, i am new to this forum, and beyond frustrated with my rig and cargo liners. i have a 1990 toyota 4runner, 3.0 v6, 5 speed manual trans. nothing on this rebuild has been what it "should" have been, down to the fire order. my current issue, is that the nipples on the power steering pressure switch are broken, and i cannot find one locally. this is also my only vehicle. i am trying to order a new switch from the dealer, but in the mean time, need a car. what i need to know, is if i block this switch temporarily, how bad is it going to mess up my steering system, or will it be ok for about 2 weeks til i can get the new part and install it? i am over $5k into this rebuild, and dont want to screw it up now..
you might end up with a bigger problem without fixing the steering pressure switch. I never tried driving my car with a badd pressure switch, maybe you'll just have to wait until the order is installed already.