General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimmy-Shimmy-Shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default Shimmy-Shimmy-Shimmy

Hello all--I'm new and desperate to find the the cause of a persistant shimmy in my 98 4runner. New tires, balance-balance and more balance with lug mount road force-new shocks. Its in the body, butt, foot--the whole interior has a slight shimmy starting at about 65mph. Steering wheel doesn't shake and I can't really tell where its coming from--I've had 3 profesionals look at what seems to be all possibilites--suspension, brakes, mounts????????????????? Baffled and frustrated. I've read on several sights that this is a persistant problem with these trucks--any ideas? Thank-you in advance, Thomas

Old 03-14-2007, 04:24 AM
Default RE: Shimmy-Shimmy-Shimmy

What were the road force results? Would need reading on each tire..Typically anything more than 10 lbs is excessive..On an SUV it could be acceptable but need more info first. What kind of tires are on it?
Drive shaft in phase? Does this vibration come and go? for example---
starts at 65--goes away and comes back 75--goes away and comes back at 85
Can't help you until I know more info...
Best

Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for responding--after six months, about 15 rebalances and two new sets of tires--Michelin ltx m/s and now Fortera. The morons at Discount tire had a defective lug mounting plate--I had brought it up before, but the techs just shrugged it off as I was the idiot customer. On Saturday I asked them to balance a wheel and then had them reattach to the plate 2 positions from the previous position and rebalance. Off by 2.25 on the outside and 1.50 on the inside. We rebalanced all four with what they call the Tacoma/4runner cone that fits the center of the wheel----and ZOWWEE like magic I'm running smooth as glass.

What a pain in the ***!!!!!

At 220,000 miles--I wasn't about to give up. This truck has been a dream until the idiots at Discount tire almost forced me to sell a perfectly wonderful ride.

Thanks for responding LEXUSHEAD, Thomas

Old 03-15-2007, 12:08 PM

At leastDiscount Tireremembered to put the lug nuts on...if you've seen Ron White - They Call Me Tater Salad you should remember that bit he did.

Glad to hear it got fixed!