General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter problem???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Default Starter problem???

I have a 97 SR5 4wd V6. For the past couple of days, when I turn the key to start, I just hear one clicking sound but the engine does nothing. It'll be about the 2nd or 3rd try before it kicks over. Is it my starter that's the culprit?

Old 09-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Starter problem???

hmm..i woudl get your electrical system checked first.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:57 AM

Normally when the starter takes a ****, it will either crank slowly or not do anything at all. The ticking/clicking is a telltale sign of low battery power. More likely it is a problem with the 1) battery (most likely) 2) alternator or 3) electrical problem causing something to continue drawing power constantly while the truck is off (least likely).

Try hooking up jumpers, and see if it starts better. a quicker start on jumpers indicates that you haven't enough power to fire up the engine. This usually means a battery problem.

FYI if the starter is in fact shot and does nothing one day, save yourself a tow by hitting it fairly firly with a hammer or ratchet bar... this allows the brushes inside to spin and turn the engine over, and can give you dozens of "extra" starts.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

This problem has just started with my 98 4runner ltd (139,000 miles), and it also recently started with a co workers 99 4runner ltd (120,000 miles). I checked battery cables, they're good, battery is good, starter never grinds, just does that click thing. We're thinking its either solenoid or ignition switch. Generally starters tend to get noisy before dying unless its solenoid takin a dump. The thing that makes us suspect the ignition switch is that we noticed sometimes if you turn the key just a litttle more it kicks on. I tried this, tried it once, didn't fire, just clicked, tried it again and could swear I felt a little more give in the key and it fired. Hopefully I'm smokin crack and it's the solenoid.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:00 AM

I have a 91 and it did that from the start when i bought it. I changed the starter and the problem was solved. I didnt' drive it for a while and it did it a couple of times. Other then that it did it a few time after but it was fine after. Just from experience.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:03 AM

I had a 91 4 runner that did that. replaced the starter 4 times never helped Ended up checking all the grounding cables found that they were coroded and was desolving in my hand so replaced them havent had a problem yet so to save money try that first a lot cheaper than replcing the starter. I put a hundred miles a day on it

Old 10-29-2006, 11:07 PM

I have a 1996 that's doing this also. I purchased a new battery and had the electrical components tested. All good at that time (3 months ago). The truck started the same described clicking on start up. I brought it back and they said the cables were loose. They tightened the cables and the truck started doing it again a few days later. I tightened the cables a bit more same result.

In my experience, an alternator will kill the battery (I recently replaced an alternator on my other car). My battery tester tests the battery at 100%. This is a bonehead question but where is the soleniod located?