General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension/shocks/coilover

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Default suspension/shocks/coilover

Hello...
I have 2003 4Runner SR5 4WD. I am looking for some advice/suggestions/opinion on upgrading my shocks/coilover shocks. I hope to get a much better 4WD ride than the stock shocks ride. However, at this point in time do not wish to do any type of lift... Some of my friends suggest Bilstein or Rancho RSX?

I live in the Southbay area of California... I don't have the time to do this myself. Can anyone please advise what is available to me based on what I am looking for and where I could have this done at a competitive shop? If anyone is farmiliar with the city of Torrance.... I live around there.

Your comments are appreciated.

thanks.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:15 AM
Default RE: suspension/shocks/coilover

Yeah I know torrance, I stop in there all the time.The wife hits up DelAmo...

Anyway, better ride? How do you mean? Better has different meaning for people....

Too much sway around corners, bounces, doesnt bounce, hard ride, soft ride, bottoms out???

Old 06-08-2007, 08:57 PM

thank you jtimports...

to clarify... I want a stiffer ride. My stock suspension gushes too much. For example when going over speed bumps and onto or off a driveway... the suspension feels very soft. I have been asking some friends, but they are more into sports suspensions versus 4wd vehicles. They did suggest bilstien... if they even make a shock for my model year... I am trying to stay stock as much as possible... At this time I am not interested in a suspension lift... just improvement in ride. Simply put I want a harder ride... not so much of a gush when I go over various speed bumps...

I was told by my friends just changing the shocks assument good shocks, I should notice a difference. However, I also understand the labor involved includes taking off the spring/coil to gain access to the shock. So someone told me why not also upgrade the coil?

I appreciate any suggestions/advise... I also need to know where I can have this done. Unfortunately, I don't have the man power, tools or time to learn to do this myself. I do need to know a place that does good work.

Lastly, is bilstein the best for what i want? I understany Rancho also offers a shock for my model... My friends advise the KYB GR2 is not much of a upgrade? thanks again for your help!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:01 PM

thank you jtimports...

to clarify... I want a stiffer ride. My stock suspension gushes too much. For example when going over speed bumps and onto or off a driveway... the suspension feels very soft. I have been asking some friends, but they are more into sports suspensions versus 4wd vehicles. They did suggest bilstien... if they even make a shock for my model year... I am trying to stay stock as much as possible... At this time I am not interested in a suspension lift... just improvement in ride. Simply put I want a harder ride... not so much of a gush when I go over various speed bumps...

I was told by my friends just changing the shocks assument good shocks, I should notice a difference. However, I also understand the labor involved includes taking off the spring/coil to gain access to the shock. So someone told me why not also upgrade the coil?

I appreciate any suggestions/advise... I also need to know where I can have this done. Unfortunately, I don't have the man power, tools or time to learn to do this myself. I do need to know a place that does good work.

Lastly, is bilstein the best for what i want? I understany Rancho also offers a shock for my model... My friends advise the KYB GR2 is not much of a upgrade? thanks again for your help!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:03 PM

thank you jtimports...

Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 PM

Almost anything aftermarket will give you that ride. As for where in Torrance, hummm yeah most of the ol boys are in to Rotaries over there or just sportscars in general. Shocks man are SOOOOOOO easy even a monkey can do it, so I would only let a monkey do it, so any garage I think is fine even a gas station garage would be fine for that one, simple remove and replace os the shock, easy enough, not much they can break or even need to remove for that matter.

All the suspensions are pretty much the same KYB, RANCHO, BILSTEIN they really are I prefer to work with the same company as much as possible and im all rancho, but to each their own. Good luck, hope i helped some..

laters
J

Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 AM

I appreciate it...

Thanks,
JT